Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scratches in paintwork problem.

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Mornin folks, I'm looking for some advice on how to spruce up my cars paint work. Its got a lot of small nics and scratches that aren't noticeable until up close.

Its a '98 306 and I plan to sell it, and while it is a fantastic little runner and in great condition, the paint work will let it down.

Is there something I can do myself with a bit of elbow grease or is it worth bringing it to a professional?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Try going over it with Colour Magic (from Halfords etc.) first and see if that brings it up to a satisfactory level. Costs around €15 for a bottle I think so if it doesn't work that well then you aren't loosing much.

Did my car recently and it covers some of the smaller scratches and makes larger scratches less noticable. Comes up to a good shine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

If you are willing to spent some time at it and elbow grease - the better ones can be made less noticeable using Meguiars ScratchX and then use a colour restorer onto to cover it all in! Alot of work to do if you dont get a chance to drive around in it sparkling - but for selling the car, it will make it ALOT easier!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Cheers lads, i'll give it a go,

by the way, can anyone tell me what this mysterious "compound" i've been told about is? (sorry for my ignorance):o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You can buy a small tub of rubbing compond in most motor factors. Its a mild abrasive substance that looks a bit like sudacreme- you rub it into the paintwork and it will grip onto the paint. Ideally, you use an electric mop to take it off. It removes the oxidised layer of dull paint to reveal a fresh layer underneath. It's a pretty heavy duty method that you should only do occasionally- you'd soon be through the paint if you did it every sunday afternoon.

It's harsher than wax but you can use it by hand the same way you'd use wax but the results will be limited compared to using the mop. You should really polish it afterwards.

If the car has the potential of being a real dinger- I'd ship it off to a panel beater for a compound and polish. Cost me €80 last time and the car looked drop dead gorgeous for a 1991.

Advertisement