Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just took a spin in an A5

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Yep client dropping down a piece of kit for repair and he had an A5 3.0 TDI, what a fantastic looking car and well kitted out inside with extras, push button start, button operated handbrake (bit weird), manual gearbox (haven't driven a manual in a while).

Acceleration - by jayziz (enough said)
    Brakes - by jayziz (even more stunning that the acceleration)

Felt lovely, €81,000 for the model I was driving, to rich for me.

But very very nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That is a shed load of money - I can't see a well-specced 335d being any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

We saw a grey one the other day, coming towards us, and my wife remarked "what's with the Knight Rider lights ?? "

At first I thought the LED's looked cool................not so sure now, maybe a bit OTT !

I have sat in a few and all dissapointed me, the dash console area is very poor looking and the space in the rear is way too tight for a car in this segment.

I have to say I doo like the look of them, and the cars I saw were all dark inside, which doesn't help when compared to my CLK which has a light grey/wood interior and obviously you can open down the rear sideglass which is an amazing oversight on the A5 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

those button handbrakes, buttonbreaks, are very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Did anyone else see Clarkson on Top Gear last sunday reviewing the new R8 - he reckoned those LED lights reminded him of "a council house at christmas"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Does it cost 81K for a 3.0TDI A5 in Ireland!? Sums this country up, imagine what the S5 will cost, and how mush of that goes to the Government in VRT!:mad: A well, I have yet to see one in the metal, they look class in the magazines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

astraboy wrote: »
    Does it cost 81K for a 3.0TDI A5 in Ireland!? Sums this country up, imagine what the S5 will cost, and how mush of that goes to the Government in VRT!:mad: A well, I have yet to see one in the metal, they look class in the magazines.

The base price of the A5 in Ireland is 65. Obviously your man had a lot of extras. Pretty much 20k of that is in VRT. [It's 45k in Germany]

PS: The base price of the S5 is 85k. I was looking at a second hand one in a garage the other day. 97k.

It gives you an idea of the cost of extras on this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nice car, looks pretty good, needs a LOT of spec to make the interior up to scratch, doesn't handle as well as the E92 coupe IMO and desperately needs an auto box matched to that 3.0TDI engine which has a serious amount of torque :cool:

The LEDs are uber cool at the moment but once they appear on the A4 we'll be sick of them I think.

Leather seats are 3k, BMW charge 2k, engine start button is standard across the E92, Audi charge 1k for it. It's a ridiculously overpriced car once you stick on options and believe me, I'm an Audi fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Did anyone else see Clarkson on Top Gear last sunday reviewing the new R8 - he reckoned those LED lights reminded him of "a council house at christmas"!

I saw that - lucky I was sitting down, would have fallen over otherwise!

I thought they were really cool when I saw them at first but now it looks like something you buy from Halfords.

When BMW came out with the 'Angel Eyes' there were eventually LOADS of copies for other cars, I'm sure it is only a matter of time......

Beautiful car the A/S5 but I would still go for the equivalent BMW.

Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Dwilly

Test drove the S5 in Grange this morning. Bloody heck! Off at the lights on the dual carriageway, the noise... big smile.

To be honest this demo model isn't a whole heap more expensive than the 3.0TDI and if you didn't do the miles you could probably justify it. The V8 is just so pleasurable to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

nialler wrote: »

Acceleration - by jayziz (enough said)
    Brakes - by jayziz (even more stunning that the acceleration)

Felt lovely

Sounds great nialler.....where do you work??

makes note not to give niallers place my car to work on;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

MarkN wrote: »
    Engine start button is standard across the E92, Audi charge 1k for it.

:eek:

Fuppin' hell Ted! That is an expensive button.

And what is the deal there anyway? Did I miss a meeting? I've only used it in BMW loaners but how is it progress? In my car, it's pretty much one move: put the key in the ignition and turn it. The "new" way involves sticking the fob in a hole in the dash (that's on the opposite side of the steering wheel to where years of cars would have me looking), pressing the clutch and pressing the button.

It's not that my schedule is that tight that I can't spare the extra few seconds but it just seems a big pain in the hole for no reason other than some very sad people might think they're in a racing car.

The bind moggles.

Advertisement