Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon seatpost

Options
  • 19-10-2007 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Does a carbon seatpost make much of a difference in terms of comfort? I bought my first road bike last night and took it for a spin. It has carbon forks but by Christ did I feel every bump on the tarmac...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd venture a guess that its more the fact that its your first road bike and it was your first time out on it.

A carbon seatpost won't make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I was afraid you'd say that. (Well, not you, but someone.)

Thing is, I'm used to road bike wheels. My commuting bike is a singlespeed with 700 x 25 tyres, for example. That said, the frame is steel so that probably makes things more comfortable.

I've been told the frame on my road bike is pretty stiff. Does stiffness more or less equate to "feeling the road"? I'm sure I'll just get used to it anyway.
    tunney wrote: »
    I'd venture a guess that its more the fact that its your first road bike and it was your first time out on it.

A carbon seatpost won't make that much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I dont think it makes any difference to comfort. More to do with reducing the weight of the bike. What bike did you get?

It's a second-hand Ridley Triton S. It has a compact alu frame with carbon fork and Campagnolo Xenon groupset. Pretty much an entry-level racer, I guess.
    mkdon05 wrote: »
    I dont think it makes any difference to comfort. More to do with reducing the weight of the bike. What bike did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I was afraid you'd say that. (Well, not you, but someone.)

Thing is, I'm used to road bike wheels. My commuting bike is a singlespeed with 700 x 25 tyres, for example. That said, the frame is steel so that probably makes things more comfortable.

I've been told the frame on my road bike is pretty stiff. Does stiffness more or less equate to "feeling the road"? I'm sure I'll just get used to it anyway.

that steel frame has you spoilt, you'll get used to aluminium... eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The aluminium frame is whats shaking you about. Very unforgiving but you will get used to it. Buy yourself good shorts with a thick pad and get some nice bar tape with vibration damping such as Specialized Phat wrap. Also a good pair of gloves with gel inserts and that will all help. A carbon seatpost, not so much despite what you hear...

I have a spare carbon post I would let go for half nothing is you were looking though, but its a 31.6 diameter, I would imagine that the ridley takes a smaller size.

Yeah, I figured I was in for some tough love alright.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    that steel frame has you spoilt, you'll get used to aluminium... eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think it does make a difference. Overwhelmingly makes a difference when the entire frame is carbon, but I think still a benefit to a carbon seatpost on an aluminum frame.

Did you feel the bumps more at the front or rear? Road bike tends to position you more forward, on the bars. I have noticed a bit of a harsh ride on some aluminum road bikes, with a tendency for bumps to sort of throw your rear up into the air.

Do you have padded gloves? They are essential.

What type of bike did you get? If it's compact geometry you will have more seatpost showing and more potential for benefit. I have a Specialized Pave on one of my bikes and it is definately a comfortable seatpost.

Actually, I think it is a 31.6. I might take you up on that again some time, but for now I reckon I'm better off trying to get used to the frame. Cheers anyway, Quigs.
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    The aluminium frame is whats shaking you about. Very unforgiving but you will get used to it. Buy yourself good shorts with a thick pad and get some nice bar tape with vibration damping such as Specialized Phat wrap. Also a good pair of gloves with gel inserts and that will all help. A carbon seatpost, not so much despite what you hear...

I have a spare carbon post I would let go for half nothing is you were looking though, but its a 31.6 diameter, I would imagine that the ridley takes a smaller size.

It's a Ridley Triton S and I'm pretty sure the frame has compact geometry. I do have padded gloves and cycling shorts - I just didn't have them with me last night.
    blorg wrote: »
    I think it does make a difference. Overwhelmingly makes a difference when the entire frame is carbon, but I think still a benefit to a carbon seatpost on an aluminum frame.

Did you feel the bumps more at the front or rear? Road bike tends to position you more forward, on the bars. I have noticed a bit of a harsh ride on some aluminum road bikes, with a tendency for bumps to sort of throw your rear up into the air.

Do you have padded gloves? They are essential.

What type of bike did you get? If it's compact geometry you will have more seatpost showing and more potential for benefit. I have a Specialized Pave on one of my bikes and it is definately a comfortable seatpost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    some nice bar tape with vibration damping such as Specialized Phat wrap.

I'm gonna get me some of that, as my bar tape is nearing the end of it's life.

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360009572&N=Specialized%20Body%20Geometry%20Phat%20Bar%20Tape

There are two different sizes at that link. Is it related to the width of the tape?
    Which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

King Raam wrote: »
    I'm gonna get me some of that, as my bar tape is nearing the end of it's life.

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360009572&N=Specialized%20Body%20Geometry%20Phat%20Bar%20Tape

There are two different sizes at that link. Is it related to the width of the tape?
    Which is better?

I'm such an idiot, I read cm in stead of mm. Obviously that's how thick the tape is

Sorry - I didn't answer your question. It was both front and rear, but probably more in the rear.
    blorg wrote: »

Did you feel the bumps more at the front or rear? .

Advertisement