Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda accord 2.0 minor problem

Options
  • 19-10-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

i have a honda accord that i want to send in for the nct.. i noticed on some days when i am driving her she tends to refuse to carry on up in speed...

for example if i leave my estate it might go about 20mph in 2nd and then all of a sudeen she wants to stop (not cut out or anything) (just refuses to drive past 20mph) so when this happens i quickly take it out of gear and give it a few revs, then i put it back into gear and away it goes... this can happen at any speed - even while doing 50/60/70 on the motor way!

i mixed a pint of stp fuel cleaner in with a thank of petrol thinking it might do some good but it still remains the same.

could it be the distribator leads? she got the plugs and oil changed about 6 months ago and i didn't notice the problems till about 2/3 months ago so i dont think it has anything to do with the lugs. its a standard 2.o liter non vtech.

must also add it is missing the back box! andi am waiting to have one fitted. but tbh befor the last box came off with RusT it was still stutering from time to time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Swap the distribtor out for another one. I'd be surprised if the coil wasn't on its way out (built into the distributor). Distributors are prob the achilles heel of Hondas.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

ok, i dont supose a distributor from a honda civic would do? my friend has one and it would save me money in case it dosn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Before you mentioned the STP, I was thinking it sounded like dirty petrol. I had this before and had the same symptoms. I found that switching off the engine for a few seconds fixed it temporarily.

hi "cantdecide"
    what make of car had you the same problem with was it a honda?
    have u since fixed the problem? or changed car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

well... it was, ahem-- a fiat punto:eek: Don't look at me like that.

It was only a case of running the petrol right down, replacing the fuel filters,
    taking off the fuel lines and blowing them through. Basic plumbing really, I think the mechanic had to do something with the injectors too. Fill with fresh petrol with more injector cleaner and it ran perfectly. It was about an hours labour and a few quid for filters etc.

Intermittant lack of of acceleration and spluttering were the main symptoms.

• Advertisement

spongbob wrote: »
    ok, i dont supose a distributor from a honda civic would do? my friend has one and it would save me money in case it dosn't work
    Not likely. There will be a number written on your's somewhere, like TD22U. Google it and you should find out what else it was used in.

i will do cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I had something similar (with a seat leon), it was the throttle body valve sticking. Sometimes I'd be accelerating and it just wouldn't pick up at all, like yourself I'd have to drop it out of gear and give it a good rev. I picked up a can of throttle body cleaner for a few euros in halfords and gave it a good it a good scrub and it was good as new :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    I had something similar (with a seat leon), it was the throttle body valve sticking. Sometimes I'd be accelerating and it just wouldn't pick up at all, like yourself I'd have to drop it out of gear and give it a good rev. I picked up a can of throttle body cleaner for a few euros in halfords and gave it a good it a good scrub and it was good as new :)
    That's a known VAG problem and is common enough. Hondas don't suffer from it.

Advertisement