Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some people are just pure stupid

Options
  • 19-10-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

did anyone read the mirror yesterday? i was over in my girlfriends house last night and picked up the paper on the table and decided to have a read through it.

with all the fuss over the draw against cyprus wednsday night, i opened up the middle of the paper and said id have a read of how staunton was gettin slated by the press.

They had quotes from all the fans that where registering there views via the internet etc and a sub headline grabbed my eye in the top right hand corner. it read to the tune of " i'd like to get my 5mm and use it on staunton"

further into reading it some absolute fool who went by the name of billy bob decided to let the country know that he had just got his new and legally approved 5mm which had arrived and the first thing he wanted to do with it was shoot staunton.

would'nt you think this fool would have the cop on not to say such a stupid remark, knowing reputation shooting sports already have in this country. i mean somewhon had to grant this man a license and in my opinion anyone that is willing to go making public remarks about wanting to shoot somebody almost immediatly after he gets his gun, whether he means it or not, does not deserve or should be allowed have a firearm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

On the face of it, it's certainly an utterly stupid thing to say, but this is The Mirror we're looking at here, so I'm wondering if it's the paper or the quoted person we should be berating here?
    After all, what's a '5mm'?

Any chance of scanning the article or is it available online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i dont have the paper to be honest, but yes it was a 5mm he said he had. i dont know anything about handguns so mm's mean nothing to me, but definitly that was the jist of it.

ps - i cant access sites like the mirror from work im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

stevoman wrote: »
    i dont have the paper to be honest, but yes it was a 5mm he said he had. i dont know anything about handguns so mm's mean nothing to me, but definitly that was the jist of it.

Well .177 is 4.5mm and .22 is 5.6mm, so it's somewhere in between :D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Its is probably a misprint. 5 and 9 can be mistaken. I see grammatical and spelling errors regularly in printed press.:rolleyes:

Stevo, don't read "The Mirror" its pure rubbish. That s*#@ will rot your brain:)

If our gun totin idiot friend actully exists he should be hunted down and have his new toy confiscated:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hezz700 wrote: »
    If our gun totin idiot friend actully exists he should be hunted down and have his new toy confiscated:mad:

If he does, he must be a member of a club to have got a pistol licence. If he's as stupid as his email to the mirror portrays, then he's likely to brag about it in front of his friends.

Ergo, identification and expulsion and loss of licence.

As a community we should act swiftly to stop such idiots owning firearms. It's our responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

rrpc wrote: »

As a community we should act swiftly to stop such idiots owning firearms. It's our responsibility.

exactly, i mean this is the type of fool that gets us a bad name. i bet its some idiot with a few pound in his pocket, probobly joined a pistol range this year and has never fired a shot in his life, and now with his new toy he thinks he's dirty harry....... until the novelty wears off and he goes and sells it for the money to put towards his new harley davidson!!!!!

ps - hezz trust me, i dont buy that s*it. i picked it up just to skim through it, cos i had nothing else to do. im the first to say that all those tabloids are nothing but fodder for the less informed!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I

Ergo, identification and expulsion and loss of licence.

our responsibility.

Absobloodylootly!! I do suspect however it's someone who hasnt so much as a dog license

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

The Mirror. Those two words explain everything.
    Was it next to an article about pending alien invasion or a pie chart on Jordans boob development??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Ned Muldhoon

Tabloids, such as the Mirror, just pander to a certain type of reader, problem is they are definitely in the majority and articles such as this can only damage public opinion when it comes to shooting sports.

You only need to look at recent events in the UK - the ban on pistols / hunting with hounds was primarily due to sensationalism in the tabloid press(and some really bad vetting by local constabulary).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

Absobloodylootly!! I do suspect however it's someone who hasnt so much as a dog license

Was thinking that myself, on the bright side the vast majority of tabloid readers are not the letter writing or government petitioning type so even though that was an incredibly stupid thing to write I would think it won't have any ill effects.
    stevoman wrote:
    until the novelty wears off and he goes and sells it for the money to put towards his new harley davidson!!!!!

Oi whats wrong with Harleys?

*Runs outside to hug his V-Twin Japanese psuedo Harley* :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

like the owner of a (non named) japanese bike company once said... if harley davidson made airplanes... would you fly in one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

isn't the mirror and english paper, i don't understand why people by the sun, mirror, daily mail, gaurdian, telegraph.
    the are all just english papers with an Irish front page and a page of GAA at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭N.O.I.P.

revan23 wrote: »
    like the owner of a (non named) japanese bike company once said... if harley davidson made airplanes... would you fly in one? :D

That would depend entirely on just how heavily chromed the plane was :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well .177 is 4.5mm and .22 is 5.6mm, so it's somewhere in between :D
    Its a .20, but the idiot probably confused 5mm with 9mm (he most likely heard it from tv)
    BryanL wrote: »
    isn't the mirror and english paper, i don't understand why people by the sun, mirror, daily mail, gaurdian, telegraph.
    the are all just english papers with an Irish front page and a page of GAA at the back
    They are english companys, they operate irish editions of their newspapers. Its to increase sales and done by everyone, just like the way the Sky 1 we get over here is an irish edition and the ads differ from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Id say its all down to the typical quote thats always printed in Papers eg:

"it was the hottest sex tape ive ever seen" said Dave form London

"I have never seen anyone so drunk before" Mr. Smith from Dublin

Same old page filler rubbish :rolleyes:

Advertisement