Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 19-10-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Out of interest, are we the only country in the EU that has to pay VRT?

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No. Most countries have a registration tax but ususlly its minimal. Demnark IIRC has a higher rate of VRT than Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Denmark and Portugal tax the motorist a lot. When I was in Portugal 2 years ago, a 1.8 Avensis cost €30,000! I don't know what the specs were/are compared to ours, I don't speak Portugese! I know €30k was around the price of our Luna versions though.

Denmark in particular, a BMW 320d Saloon costs more there than a 335d M Sport Coupé here.(at approximately €75,000)

That said, the Germans who don't have the misfortune of VRT can get a 740i for €73,000.

A 320d Saloon in Germany costs only €32,700, compared to €47,800(though ours is an ES, and the German 320d is the same as the base spec 3 series here) here and it culd be a lot worse, at roughly €75,000 in Denmark!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Roscos

I have spoken to many car dealers regarding VRT and one made a very simple comment. If the dealers refused to collect VRT and you had to pay it directly he felt that this would highlight the vast sums paid out on each car. If you think about it having to go to the VRT office and say give them € 6000.00 in VRT would focus the mind instead of having it already in the price. Hope this gives everyone something to think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Roscos wrote: »
    I have spoken to many car dealers regarding VRT and one made a very simple comment. If the dealers refused to collect VRT and you had to pay it directly he felt that this would highlight the vast sums paid out on each car. If you think about it having to go to the VRT office and say give them € 6000.00 in VRT would focus the mind instead of having it already in the price. Hope this gives everyone something to think about.

Very good point.

Its sickening handing over a wad of money like that!

.. i know your point is about new cars being sold in Ireland but when importing from say the UK to be handing over a wad of cash and to basically be grunted out of the office without even getting at least a set reg plates off them is infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It doesn't work that way with stamp duty, so I can't really see why it would with VRT. I think many people assume the electorate to be opposed to our current levels of VRT without any particular reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Roscos

I do understand your point about stamp duty but could any one who has bought a new car in Ireland tell me the amount of VRT paid by the dealer for them as it does not show on the invoice. The point I am trying to make is at the moment we don't take much notice of VRT. We know it is there some where. Yes when bringing a car in from the uk you will know as you have to pay it in one sum. UK cars are proving great value often but still the VRT is a Killer. When you consider that most cars in Ireland are financed and this finance adds interest to VRT not forgetting VAT it makes motoring madness. If you care to add the VTR and the Vat contained within a new car price you will get quite a shock. Then add the interest on the loan. I better stop its not good but do the sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I do understand your point about stamp duty but could any one who has bought a new car in Ireland tell me the amount of VRT paid by the dealer for them as it does not show on the invoice.

Every new car I've sold for the last 4 years has had VRT showing on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ned78 wrote: »
    Every new car I've sold for the last 4 years has had VRT showing on the invoice.

Ned - doesn't mean all dealers do that. Some are just better than others ;)

Out of interest, do private customers get the VRT Receipt along with the RF100?

For an example of VRT - a new Golf 1.9Tdi Base in a Mettaliic colour has €6,038 VRT as part of the list price.

Advertisement