Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm writing

• 19-10-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I am writing a set and its looking to be about 30 minutes worth. My problem is that though its a subject thats very "me" I'm not sure I could do it justice on the delivery?

Any suggests, opinions or advice on writing/delivery?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Very 'you' huh? Well let me tell you I learned the hard way that stuff thats too personal can often fly straight over audiences heads. Try to put a spin on it so everyone can see where youre coming from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

best way to deliver content based around yourself is to be self deprecating. it's funny to see a man beat himself up, and you'll pull the audience over to you because you're not talking crap about "john" or giving the cripple in the front row a good lashing with your tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ah no its stuff that the audience will get or in the very least get into. Its not exactly self deprecating but its taking the piss and not in the least precious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Just talk about what you find funny yourself, talk about what makes you laugh yourself. Don't try and write stuff that you think will make people laugh, it doesn't work that way.

And your delivery will take a good while to come together, you can only really work on it when you're on stage. Just go with whatever feels right for you, don't deliberately try to use a certain style that isn't like your normal self, it comes across as forced. I'm doing it a year and my delivery is still only so-so, so it takes a while. Then again, I'm probably just sh1t! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its all stuff I find funny and its definately all in my style .... just strange writing it down for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

It's when you're stood in an empty room doing rehearsals that it starts to feel really strange man!

Best of luck with it though man, let me know when you're giving it a shot and I'll drop by! (Although I tend to be at nearly every comedy show in the city anyway, so I'll probably be there anyway!)

Advertisement