Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART Line Fibre Optic Connection?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

I remember reading a few times that there was a fibre line running down the DART line in dublin, out as far as Shankill or somewhere like that. Also that it'd be *reasonably* cheap for a business to get connected to this, compared to say getting in a fractional T3 or a bundle of T1s.

The location I'm looking for is in Ballsbridge, and literally fronts onto the DART line. Would probably need speeds of at least 3Mb Symmetric so I figure fibre starts becoming cost effective there

Does anyone know what companies are managing connections to this? I think I read that it was ESB networks or something but not sure... I've already tried BT and they've said that they have fibre in the area but I don't think theirs is the Dart line one.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Thanks Sponge Bob, was going mental googling trying to find some info. An area like Ballsbridge will probably be laced with fibre anyway. Already rang BT for a quote and waiting for a call back so we shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

The whole of Dublin is laced with fiber, its a matter of pulling a dig to your front door and cabling into your comms room. Personally I don't think you have a chickens chance of getting fiber into your place as the work involved is massive...firstly is getting CIE to pass a planned works (the slowest and most un-helpful shower out there when it come to co-operating with comms companies) for this then secondly the cost of carrying out this work (digs and equipment costs).

I would recommend getting a dedicated radio link (point to point) from a ISP or WISP. There should be plenty of options around that area. Try IBB as they do a lot of p2p links for corporate customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

You should check with Smart and Magnet regarding the Fibre. We are moving to a new office on Pearse Street, and luckily enough Magnet had fibre on the street and a presentation already in the building for another Customer.

1,800 euro a month for 100Mb/s point to point to our Data centre is gonna be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

if you're interested my best mate is in corp sales in smart and i could put you in contact with him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

Generally fibre is cheaper for high bandwidth requirements and 3Mbps with any provider might be too expensive if the building is not on net already

Check out Magnet's 4Mb and 2Mb SHDSL service

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Digiweb also do dedicated connections in that area, if SDSL is not an option - they have low contention and dedicated connections available.

Thanks for the advice guys. I found the SHDSL services from Magnet and Digiweb, both looking pretty good. Have to wait a bit longer and see how connectivity needs for the place pan out before deciding on one

If anyone is looking into anything similar, Smart's "Last Mile Ethernet" seems like about the best thing going. Its ethernet over normal phone lines, no contention, full SLA and up to 16Mb symmetric depending on your line quality. I can't believe that people still get in T1s...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

demon, let me know if you're going with smart, i know one of the corp sales guys and he might be able to throw you a deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement