Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Power Supply

Options
  • 19-10-2007 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

I always struggle with the psu question as I never really fully understood the whole "12v rail" thingy .

I am doing a bit of chopping and changing over the weekend and I have 2 power supply units .

Trust Dual Fan 570w

Antec Neo HE500w

1: for an AMD2 Athlon 64 X2 3800 , 2gigs 800mhz ram , 500 gig hd , ati 1950 pro 512
    2: for AMD Athlon 64 3800 , 2 gig pc3200 ram ,120 gig hd , bfg 7600gt 256

Logic would tell me to put the 570w in the faster pc , but I am aware that my logic can quiet often be flawed .

So , any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Test both, see which one makes the least amount of noise under load and use that in your main machine.

570W dodgy brand Vs 550W good brand:I know I prob would go with the antec myself as it is a good brand and are stable and usually do exactly what they say on the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also take the Antec for the better machine, though I actually used of those exact Trust PSU's before, decent bit of kit and has good rails. Nice and cheap as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I just got a Corsair 620w today! I literaly just opened the box now! The feckers come with a 2 prong plug though on the mains cable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

py2006 wrote: »
    I just got a Corsair 620w today! I literaly just opened the box now! The feckers come with a 2 prong plug though on the mains cable!

Same thing happened when I got a seasonic 600W.

By rights we should be getting the UK kettle lead with it, but it's just easier and less time consuming to scrounge up a kettle lead somewhere else then complain:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

use the antec new with the higher spec pc, as the rails are much stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for that folks ...go with the Antec then for main pc .

ps: keep an eye out for my "emergency" threads tomorrow !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'd go with the antec any day. That Trust PSU reminds me of the old "Qtec" Power supplys that komplett, maplin etc.. use to sell. They were unbelivably - Crap! Had used a few of them, they all weighed about as much as a match box and sounded like a hair dryer.

Antec, anyday.

Hj

Advertisement