Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is everyone selling in Balbriggan?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Im scouring the market at the moment for suitable properties, looking to buy on my own which means that my budget is limited. I have a sister in Balbriggan (Moylaragh) and while she's only renting there, she seems to like the place, says its quite accessible etc lots of things to do.

So why is everyone selling?

I did a quick check on daft.ie for residential properties in North Co. Dublin within my price bracket, and of the 140+ returned, over 3/4 of these were in Balbriggan?

Is there something I should know? A comet? A dodgy dam in the vicinity?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's just the fact that a ridiculous number of houses were built there that were actually only ridiculously insanely over-priced (as opposed to WTF-overpriced), so a lot of people bought there to get on the "property ladder" and are now looking to move on. Or so I would guess. I know two people living there and the area is fine but it's only ever somewhere they see as a stepping stone to be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Makes sense considering thats exactly the way I see it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭japjap

I thought I heard somewhere that the Government is thinking of moving Dublin Port to Balbriggan. I might be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

And I thought I heard somewhere that "they" were thinking of building a Luas to Lucan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

So why is everyone selling?

I did a quick check on daft.ie for residential properties in North Co. Dublin within my price bracket, and of the 140+ returned, over 3/4 of these were in Balbriggan?
    Have you seen the news headlines over the past few weeks,
    it's been murder trying to get a place in schools for kids.
    You might think this won't affect you right now,
    BUT remember the day you buy is the day you sell,
    the area clearly lacks facilities - I'd say avoid it like the plague!
    I'm not even going to comment on the amount of foreigners out there,and how statistically such areas on a European basis end up having social problems - just visit Croyden in London before you buy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

I heard that Ryanair were going to be flying there shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 daymoh

the problem is not that everyone in Balbriggan is selling up - its that there is way more properties in balbriggan within your price range than say malahide, swords, portmarnock etc.. its makes sense because the further away from dublin you go the cheaper the properties will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I bought in Balbriggan 2 years ago and I'm happy enough, no plans of moving any time soon. At the same time, I'm close to the centre of the town, no long trek to the shops/train station etc. I don't think I'd like to live in one of the huge estates further out of town.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Have you seen the news headlines over the past few weeks,
    it's been murder trying to get a place in schools for kids.
    You might think this won't affect you right now,
    BUT remember the day you buy is the day you sell,
    the area clearly lacks facilities - I'd say avoid it like the plague!
    I'm not even going to comment on the amount of foreigners out there,and how statistically such areas on a European basis end up having social problems - just visit Croyden in London before you buy!

Have you seen the other news headlines about the plans to build something like 13 schools in that area by next September?

The place has lacked facilities alright but in some ways its better served than traditional Dublin city suburbs.

I've spent plenty of time out there and it's a nice place, if not a somewhat badly planned in some estates (overall it's getting there).

Not really sure what problems you allude to with foreigners living there - the only problems I see arising is if the children are effectively segregated by the Catholic school's enrolment policy which is being addressed.

I think people are selling up in Balbriggan because a) it was a hot-spot for new families due to its relatively low price for Dublin and these people are now looking to see if the slowing market allows them to move a bit closer to the City again and b) because its low price attracted wannabe landlords who wanted to make an investment at as cheap a price as possible - they're now getting nervous about the slowing market and are looking to bail (and if they invested early enough there's still plenty of margin to be made on that investment too).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SkepticOne wrote: »
    I heard that Ryanair were going to be flying there shortly.

Yes but it will actually be shannon airport but they'll sell bus tickets from Shannon to Balbriggan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

daymoh wrote: »
    the problem is not that everyone in Balbriggan is selling up - its that there is way more properties in balbriggan within your price range than say malahide, swords, portmarnock etc.. its makes sense because the further away from dublin you go the cheaper the properties will be..

Funny to read all the other posts jumping through hoops to explain it, with a typically negative post from the D'People's Voice!... only one with the obviously correct reason, daymoh. OP, you are focusing your search on very cheap properties, Balbriggan is the cheapest place, due to its location. Not rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Funny to read all the other posts jumping through hoops to explain it, with a typically negative post from the D'People's Voice!... only one with the obviously correct reason, daymoh. OP, you are focusing your search on very cheap properties, Balbriggan is the cheapest place, due to its location. Not rocket science.
    Why do I get the feeling you didn't spend two minutes researching before you typed your post.
    go to
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ga4&search=1&x=7&y=7
    Select the drop down for 'Area', keep scrolling down and view the numbers beside each area.
    Then come back here and confirm that Balbriggan (along with Clondlakin and Blanchardstown) does NOT have a disproportionate amount of properties listed.
    You don't even have to select prices, type of house or ANY details.
    Dun Laoighaire 36 properties for sale
    Donnybrook 15 properties for sale
    Blackrock 84 properties for sale
    Howth 29 properties for sale
    Sutton 45 properties for sale

Then we have
    Balbriggan 212 properties for sale
    Swords 268 properties for sale
    Finglas 198 properties for sale

Blanchardstown 121 properties for sale
    Clonsilla 186 properties for sale
    Clonee 134 properties for sale
    Castleknock 246 properties for sale

Tallaght 249 properties for sale
    Clondalkin 237 properties for sale
    So yes I must that Balbriggan is not the only one with a very high figure, but pick a town of similar size to Balbriggan, then ask yourself is 212 houses for sale abnormal.

I heard they are putting the new Disneyland there

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I've heard somewhere that a lot of people from the Balllymun flats have moved out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

becuase the hse need properties for the contents of africa who are renting out their homes just now getting ready to come over here......

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On-topic please and cop on with the bigoted comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I suspect it's because a lot of people would have stretched to buy somewhere and with interest rates increasing mortgage repayments so much a lot of people are struggling to pay them and with prices also falling they think they'd be better off selling up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

japjap wrote: »
    I thought I heard somewhere that the Government is thinking of moving Dublin Port to Balbriggan. I might be wrong.

Probably replying to an old post here, but here's info for the Port 'they' are planning for just north of Balbriggan (coincidentally, it appears to be near the area called the Sailors Grave, but I don't think they'll market it like that :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Balbriggan is the cheapest place, due to its location. Not rocket science.
    That's the whole point- it should be more expensive!

Balbriggan is on the east coast, beside a national primary route, has a train station, bus service, beaches, is within 20 miles from Dublin but no one seems to want to live there! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

no one seems to want to live there!

eh... bit of a reality check needed here - check your census figures and you'll see from the dramatic population increase that a hell of a lot of people want to live here.

Some people seem to be assuming that because there are so many units for sale that people want out of the town... don't forget most of these are buy to let units, it's not that there is anything wrong with Balbriggan - it's that these small-fry speculators can't sustain their investment.

Don't forget that some people are also upgrading within the community too. This automatic assumption that people are bailing on the town is ill-founded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement