Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lydia Foy Case - High Court Decision Imminent

• 19-10-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Well, one of the contentious constitutional/ECHR issues of recent times is set to be decided by McKechnie J. today in the High Court. For anybody unfamiliar with the case, this concerns a naturally born male wishing to have a new birth cert. issued after undergoing gender realignment treatment recognising their status as a female.

Originally, the High Court rejected the application. This was appealed to the Supreme Court and subsequently sent back to the High Court in light of the ECHR decision of Goodwin.

What are peoples' thoughts on this topic. There are potentially interesting conseuqeuences for same sex marriage (E.g. Zappone) if the Foy application is upheld in the jurisdiction in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

The High Court is due to deliver judgment today on a 10-year landmark legal battle by a Co Kildare dentist who underwent a sex change operation, writes Mary Carolan. The action is aimed at securing a birth certificate describing her as female.

Dr Lydia Foy, Athy, Co Kildare, was born male but had gender realignment surgery 15 years ago. She has abandoned an earlier claim for her original birth certificate to be altered and instead wants a new birth certificate reflecting her female gender.

Mr Justice Liam McKechnie is due to deliver his judgment this afternoon. The case was heard over six days last April.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Thoughts!

I think the change should be allowed. I am not 100% sure that the constitution is going to leave room for the modification though.

Am 55/45 against a positive outcome for the appellant based on court 'pinball'.

A pleading under the 2003 ECHR Act might see some form of compo in the medium term.

Might pop over and see.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Guess I was right: Declaration of incompatability under the 2003 act, sections 2 / 5.

Wonderous. http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1019/foyl.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

To be honest I think if you are born with a twig and berries that's what your birth cert should say.

Whatever about people in this situation who say they've always thought of themselves as male/female, they were not physically born that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

GDM wrote: »
    To be honest I think if you are born with a twig and berries that's what your birth cert should say.

Whatever about people in this situation who say they've always thought of themselves as male/female, they were not physically born that way.

I think the point is that gender or more specifically gender identity is about a bit more than just physical attributes. Yes, there are certain sexual characteristics that define members of the human (or other mammal) species as "male" or "female" from a reproductive point of view, however human gender typing is a bit more complex IMO.

I welcome the judgement as I don't think it is the place of the law to dictate to any individual how they can or cannot identity themselves from a gender point of view.

Yes, Lydia Foy was born with a penis and testicles meaning she was (physically at least) male. However, why would it be so hard to believe that someone could appear male but have the brain chemistry or whatever you wish to call it, more often found in the female of the species?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I don't care what gender it says on anybody else's birth cert.

From an administrative point of view I think the correct approach is that the registrar of births deaths and marriages should retain the original birth cert, but another official birth cert should be provided. A person who has changed their gender should be allowed to state their new gender in the same way that a person who gains the benefit of the Probation Act can honestly say that they have no criminal convictions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement