Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 900 Classic 3Door

Options
  • 19-10-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

hi,

I am seriously considering importing a 1990 Saab900 classic from the UK.

It has 180k and looks in good cond.

It's for sale for £500 on Autotrader.

I have heard that once you buy in good condition these cars are really reliable.

However my knowledge of Saabs is very limited.

is this model reliable?

what are the main things to look out for when buying?

Are parts hard to get and expensive?

General opinions of that model?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

They are a fairly reliable car ...but only when serviced correctly.

There are a few dedicated and very informative Saab webpages and internet fora (Saabnet, saabcentral, and more) do some reading before you commit.

All the info is there, including buying guides

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mileage is collosal.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Unlike all current ones (Opel Vectras in disguise), that is a real Saab. Well built and reliable. Can take big mileage if maintained well. Parts are very expensive

Then again if you can bring it in for about a grand including VRT, what's your worse case scenario? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

I think that you could pick up a better one with much less mileage for not much more money - you might need to be patient though and keep an eye on a variety of advertising media. Pick up a copy of Classic Car Weekly in your local newsagent and have a look at the ads in the back of that - it'll give you a good idea of what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Great car. Very flexible engine and the 900 Turbo looks great IMO.

As above, you could get one with less miles for good money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

900 was 4th on my shortlist of weekend cars, would still love one if I ever sell up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Watch out for gearboxes, some parts are impossible to get at this stage and rust is also something to watch out for. Nice cars though, they really are the last true SAAB, not like the rubbish they're churning out these days. I have a 1993 convertible and a 900 Aero Turbo in storage and a lot of parts too.

what year is the Turbo junkyard?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Fantastic looking car the 900. Good luck with the hunt.

The new 900 saloon i think is one of the nicest looking saloon around.I as shocked to hear long after it was out that it was based on the Vectra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

any pics junkyard?

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    Fantastic looking car the 900. Good luck with the hunt.

The new 900 saloon i think is one of the nicest looking saloon around.I as shocked to hear long after it was out that it was based on the Vectra.

I hope you don't mean the 95?

quite like the new 93 though,

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what year is the Turbo junkyard?

It's a silver on top and black below 1985 flat front Aero Colm. I have some photo's somewhere but they're pre digital camera one's, I'll have to have a look for them SouperComputer.

what sort of nick is it in, and are you gonna hang on to it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I hope you don't mean the 95?

quite like the new 93 though,

Meant the 93, replacement for 900. It does use the vecta chassis?

old model Vectra I think!

bears very little relation to it at this stage I think

what sort of nick is it in, and are you gonna hang on to it?

They're both near showroom condition, in dry storage with about 30 other makes I picked up over the years and no, none for sale I'm afraid.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kikel wrote: »
    Meant the 93, replacement for 900. It does use the vecta chassis?

Yup. The original 1989 Vectra platform

junkyard wrote: »
    , none for sale I'm afraid.;)

Just curious.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭mcirl2

Guys,

Thanks for all replies - been very helpful.

I've decided I really want a black 2/3 door turbo.

I have heard horror storie about the turbos though? Do they need to be replaced after a certain time?
    How can you check to see if they are working ok?

Also - is there a big advantage on buying in UK?

I have spotted some ads here and prices work out the same after you import and everything. On a bit of a budget you see.

I am thinking if I can get one in good cond here I will buy it.

Thanks,

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

Not a Turbo but full Saab service history...

Bit of haggling required too ;)

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/261664.htm

There are a couple of other 900 models on that site also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

I used to own a 87 Saab 900 3 door sedan ( as opposed to the hatchback) in oz a couple of years ago.

Was a great car and had wider tyres on it and a bigger exhaust and got great enjoyment from it.

However there is one major issue with that car. Forget most of the details but its achilles heel is the pinion bearing or something which when it goes (and it does) requires the engine to be taken out to get at the gearbox. Very costly. When i got mine it had already been replaced.

The clutch/slave cyclinder or whatever its called gives problems aswell. I once had to drive back from canberra to sydney with the gear stuck in 4th.

The thermostat acts up aswell.

I used to be a regular on this forum to figure out issues and if you are thinking about picking up one these guys are great for giving you the heads up.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/index.php

p.s. i would avoid the turbo and definitely do not touch any automatics.
    Just remembered.......for a car that is from sweden once i had to get a push start down the coast(cooler climate) from my dad was over which was embarrassing and in Nimbin (yep that mellow place in queensland) i had to call out a mechanic(in my confused state) to try to get it started.......had to wait for the day to warm up in order to get to get the thing started.....again that bloody thermostat)

Advertisement