Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearing ratio on Hybrid bikes

Options
  • 19-10-2007 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the gearing ratio is on the hybrid bikes? Is a hybrid the same as a mountain bike just with larger wheels, or is the gear ratio different. Does it vary by manufacturer? I had a mountain bike for going around town but ended up pedalling like a maniac downhill or anytime i wanted a bit of speed. Am now on old 80's racers and really like the gearing but as they're so old and fairly wrecked looking for something new. Even entry level racers are out of my price range so just wondering about the hybrid. Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I'm no expert, but as far as I know it varies by manufacturer.

Trek hybrids for example are set up more like a mountain bike whereas Lapierre are more like road bikes with flat handle bars.

I used to have a mountain bike with slicks for commuting and now have a Lapierre road cruiser and I find the gearing much nicer on the Lapierre.

I'm sure others will have far more informed and technical responses for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

yeah it does vary by manufacturer. i had a carerra gryphon (from halfords) for a bit and it had a mountain-bike rear casette when i bought it. i changed it to a road one and found it much better (ie not such big differences between neighbouring gears), i find mountain bike gearing is excessive for the road.

Advertisement