Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good place for CDs

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

I've been here about 6 weeks and was wondering where would be the best places to buy cds?

Zhivago and HMV have decent selections but are dear enough.

Is there any good shops for them, or would I be better off online?

If so, anywhere that ships to Galway relatively fast?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Redlight records do a good ordering service, they're on Eglinton Street, and they're locally owned. Like Zhivago's but not owned by cúnts.

Online, play.com is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You're better off ordering online, but some good deals can be found in both Zhivago and HMV, so I wouldn't write them off entirely. Sometimes I'll get better deals in both shops on DVDs and the like, for example I recently picked up Red Dragon, 2 Disc version for a measly €5.99 in Zhivago.

I usually use play.com so I would recommend them. Usually get items in about a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galway is **** for buying music. HMV and Zhivago are all that there is really. Red Light Records on Eglington sometimes has a bit more selection but i dont find it much better myself. Mulligans used be good for jazz blues or world music but even that has gone downhill in terms of selection in recent years.

CDWow used be good, cheap and quick, dunno if they still ship here though. the retailers tried to have them banned or somecrap just because they were destroying them in terms of service, price and selection.

Too slow old man, your skillz are weak.

Although with that strike in England, the orders may well slow down. I've been waiting nearly ten days now for an ebay shipment from Surrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The new dropkicks CD for E14:D

It says free shipping, does that apply to ireland too?

• Advertisement

Yep, I presume you clicked the little € sign for euro pricing too?

It has that?

Nah the price was in sterling but the general exchange rate is usually fairly static.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I tend to just buy 'em as mp3s. downloadpunk.com is my prefered since they are straight up unencoded mp3s. Though they don't tend to necessary get things up there on release - ie Meanest of Times still isn't up though the rest of the dropkick's catalogue is. Sadly, I bought it off - gasp - iTunes, cause I'm impatient like that. Hope they announce tour dates here soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mulligans used be good for jazz blues or world music but even that has gone downhill in terms of selection in recent years.

the actual mulligans shop has been closed for a while now. they had some great americana, folk, blues and jazz. AFAIK they have an online shop but i never tried it before.

for a great find try Bell Book and Candle the second hand place over by the crane bar. has second vinyl as well which can be a laugh sometimes.

tbh galway isnt great for music, especially if its a little left of center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the actual mulligans shop has been closed for a while now. they had some great americana, folk, blues and jazz. AFAIK they have an online shop but i never tried it before.

CHRIST ON A BIKE!!! never knew that, how long has it been gone for??? just shows how much buying of music i do in the city these days. i usually keeps me monies for when i'm in a proper city, although even then it's becoming harder and harder to find certain niche stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

off the top of my head i cant remember how long it has been closed, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was over 8 months now. maybe even approaching 12 months at this stage.

**time passes so quickly in galway! i remember i went to get new glasses the other day and your on asked had an eye test donr recently. i said ya within the last 6 months and she checked the records and she goes, its actually been a year....***

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've been here about 6 weeks and was wondering where would be the best places to buy cds?

Zhivago and HMV have decent selections but are dear enough.

Is there any good shops for them, or would I be better off online?

If so, anywhere that ships to Galway relatively fast?
    CDs in Tesco are fairly cheap but it's all chart music really. Failing that, keep an eye out for any multi-buy deals in HMV.

I'm into underground mainstream punk, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Tossers, Flogging Molly, Dropkicks.

HMV and zhivago offer a decent selection but it's a lot dearer than I'm used to

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Shame to see Mulligans go, it served me very well.

I remember finding a limited edition see-through vinyl of the first Muse album "showbiz".
    They obviously didnt know they had a gem on their hands so I was able to pick it up for €19.
    Sold it on ebay soon after for €165! :)

Shame to see Mulligans go, it served me very well.

I remember finding a limited edition see-through vinyl of the first Muse album "showbiz".
    They obviously didnt know they had a gem on their hands so I was able to pick it up for €19.
    Sold it on ebay soon after for €165! :)

YOu sly old dipstick :O

I'm into underground mainstream punk, Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, Tossers, Flogging Molly, Dropkicks.

I moved to Galway from San Francisco - Dropkicks are playing there in 2 weeks with The Tossers and The Briggs (who opened for them last year and are quite good) as support. I moved too soon.

tristanc wrote: »
    I moved to Galway from San Francisco - Dropkicks are playing there in 2 weeks with The Tossers and The Briggs (who opened for them last year and are quite good) as support. I moved too soon.

*breaks down and weeps*

I've seen the Dropkicks live(excellent band) but I've always wanted to see the Tossers

*breaks down and weeps*

I've seen the Dropkicks live(excellent band) but I've always wanted to see the Tossers

Yeah, Dropkicks give an awesome live show. Never seen the Tossers either - here's to hoping Dropkicks comes to tour here and brings the Tossers with 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

for a great find try Bell Book and Candle the second hand place over by the crane bar. has second vinyl as well which can be a laugh sometimes.

tbh galway isnt great for music, especially if its a little left of center.

Mulligan's closed earlier in the summer just gone, after 17 years in business. Rents have increased almost five-fold in the past few years on Middle Street. It seems that only successful businesses with large profit margins can now afford to lease in city centre Galway.

Advertisement