Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil hits $90 a barrel, which boiler to buy?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭

I'm about to start a self build and I'm trying to design and budget my Plumbing system.

I hope to install a HRV system to supply fresh air and retain heat, but I will be installing standard rad's as my heating source, with oil hitting $90 a barrel I think I should at least look at other options.

So money is tight here I can't afford to splash the cash but at the same time I want to adress the long range costs as much as possible. Will wood pellets increase in price in line with oil, or wood chip.

Does anyone know if wood chip or pellet is availble to be bought in large amounts in Carlow?

How much will a wood pellet/chip burner cost for a 2500 sq ft house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There is lots of threads about Wood pellet boilers etc on boards so have a search around. As reguards the cost, you're looking at anything from approx €4000-€5000 upwards with the SEI grant available. Then you must factor in the storage which potentially could cost another few thousand. I'm sure there's lots of pellet suppliers out there who could deliver to Carlow.

Reguarding the $90 a barrell...Listening to Newstalk today they made an interesting point today that with the huge rise in oil in the US, a weak dollar has worked in our favour as we have only seen a small rise in prices over here. What happens then the dollar starts improving again?
    I still wouldn't write off oil as there are some very efficient systems out there from the likes of Grant & Firebird but certainly consider all options.

In addition to looking at your plumbing bill also consider your insulation options to get maximum benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cantona_deux

Hi I bought a Gerkros 40KW system for a 2750 sq foot house last year. with SEI grant it cost just over 1100 euros.

I built a storage unit for 4 tonnes of pellets. the cost of 4 ton of pellets delivered (from Enniskillen) was 720 - this should last 2 winters easily.

Overall I am very happy with my heating system - even though it's important whoever plumbs your house tells you exactly how to use each aspect of it. A tweak here and there can make a huge difference especially in a new house where the insulation is so good.

I have a solid fuel stove and an open fireplace also. But the central heating is my main source.

Advertisement