Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passed my test: but some interesting issues arose

• 19-10-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I passed me test, very happy.

I thought Id share my experence with anyone who might be interested..

1) I was suprised to hear during my pre-test that there are different rules for different Test centers. i.e. Life saver.

Aparently In Finglas you should only do a lifesaver on the left when there is a cycle lane or bus lane on inside, No on every left

other test centers , Lifesaver on every left turn..

Thought There were only one set of rules of the road..

Lession: Pre-Test is essential, Mr Dave Lyons was very good

2) While we were looking at the bike showing lights working etc.. I left the key on while chatting, Battery went flat, How stupid was I! :-( I had to run beside it hop on and start it, It worked, thought It looked bad, but maybe not

Lession: If you have a old bike, like mine be carefull, Turn that key off once lights are checked..

3) My bike is modified, Small indicators, not the ones that came with that bike, After the first 3 mins I was asked to pull over, and he explained how he could not allow me to continue the test with those indicartors, I would have to do Hand signals for the rest of the test...

Other than those two frights it was fine, The Examanier was professional (can be confused with pissed off) but fair, 3 blues and passed..

Stressful no matter how well prepared..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Congrats on passing. It's definitely a nervous experience. I had the pre-test with Dave Lyons too and I'm glad I did as I would've failed otherwise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This kind of situation is wrong it should be the same everywhere.But thats why its essential for you to do a pre test as guys like Dave Lyons know all the tips and tricks.

Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

delop wrote: »
    Aparently In Finglas you should only do a lifesaver on the left when there is a cycle lane or bus lane on inside, No on every left. other test centers , Lifesaver on every left turn..
    That is just f**king retarded, life saver on every turn is a very good habit to get into.
    After the first 3 mins I was asked to pull over, and he explained how he could not allow me to continue the test with those indicartors, I would have to do Hand signals for the rest of the test...
    You're lucky he let you carry on. Indicators are not required on a bike, but if fitted they must work and meet legal requirements, most small indicators aren't legal. To be fair, some of them are very hard to see in the daytime.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Well done, must have been awkward doing hand signals. Are you going to get legal indicators now?

After my first driving lesson I somehow got it into my head that the lifesaver was called the suicide glance and I still call it that sometimes, don't know where it came from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Congrats on passing the (DoE) test.

I agree completely that different test centres having different attitudes to rules is stupid.

My personal view on the matter is that everyone should learn to drive properly, then get pretest lessons to learn how to drive for the DoE test, and then having successfully passed that, learn how to drive properly again.

Same for cage driving too. there are some retarded "rules" in that so that people can "appear" to be driving "properly"

Well done again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Congrats, particularly given your curveballs..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

delop wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I passed me test, very happy.

I thought Id share my experence with anyone who might be interested..

1) I was suprised to hear during my pre-test that there are different rules for different Test centers. i.e. Life saver.

Aparently In Finglas you should only do a lifesaver on the left when there is a cycle lane or bus lane on inside, No on every left

other test centers , Lifesaver on every left turn..

Thought There were only one set of rules of the road..
    The lifesaver as mentioned in "police motorcycle roadcraft" - "Consider a lifesaver", not compulsary, but a good idea. If you were to be failed for checking your blind spots then sweet jesus you may as well just walk under a bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Alright call me stupid but what is a lifesaver :confused:- only have a scooter so have not done test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's checking your blindspot before changing position on the road.

Luckycharm, you should consider putting in for a test, the laws on provisional licences are definitely going to get stricter within a year or two and it will make your insurance cheaper. Take training before the test and you will pass it no bother and learn a few things that could save your life. Doesn't matter how big or small your bike is. Even long-experienced riders with full licences benefit from training.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Finglas seems to have the correct approach, but in the real world, if your unsure what is on your left and you dont believe your mirrors..do a quick lifesaver. But definately dont do a lifesaver on every left...do a lifesaver on every right if your crossing over the lane of approaching cars!

Congrats on passing!! :)

ninja900 wrote: »
    Luckycharm, you should consider putting in for a test, the laws on provisional licences are definitely going to get stricter within a year or two and it will make your insurance cheaper. Take training before the test and you will pass it no bother and learn a few things that could save your life. Doesn't matter how big or small your bike is. Even long-experienced riders with full licences benefit from training.

I have a full Drivers license is that considered the equivalent of Provisional moped license? My insurance can't get any cheaper well so they told me last time. Have about 13 years driving experience and 7 years scooter experience in Dublins mean streets (touch wood never had any accidents/tips etc). As some stage might consider getting a bigger scooter burgman or something so I would need to get a different license and then will get some lessons. Where is good on the Southside?

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I have a full Drivers license is that considered the equivalent of Provisional moped license?

If you passed your car test before about 2005 you will get Class M as well - a full licence not a provisional. A provisional licence is physically a separate document, anything on your pink licence is full.

Also note that Class M only covers mopeds under 50cc and with a top speed of less than 45km/h. If the 45km/h restrictor is not fitted, you are riding unlicensed.

NB you only get Class M if you passed your driving test in Ireland. A full licence from another EU country is fine here for cars, but does NOT give you Class M.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    If you passed your car test before about 2005 you will get Class M as well - a full licence not a provisional. A provisional licence is physically a separate document, anything on your pink licence is full.

Also note that Class M only covers mopeds under 50cc and with a top speed of less than 45km/h. If the 45km/h restrictor is not fitted, you are riding unlicensed.

NB you only get Class M if you passed your driving test in Ireland. A full licence from another EU country is fine here for cars, but does NOT give you Class M.

Have full license since 1995 - got stopped by the cops the other night (was a naughty boy- could be getting my first points) and he said it was fine.

Advertisement