Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecturer evaluations

• 19-10-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with teaching evaluations now? I was away last year but I heard that they're part of UCD Horizons, is that true? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

We've been getting forms to fill out once a year in most of our courses asking us to comment on what we liked, disliked and what we want changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Yeah they're introducing them far more across the boards now.

A lot of courses are still new, especially in 3rd and 4th year so those taking it are serious guinea pigs hence a lot of evaluating is happening.

I know we're being given sheets in all our courses this year. Mainly because we're the dry run for the real modularised people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

They just shread these forms anyway. Nobody who could actually enforce any real changes gets to see them. What's the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭t_ucd

stolenwine wrote: »
    They just shread these forms anyway. Nobody who could actually enforce any real changes gets to see them. What's the point?

Well, for one of my classes they're going to get 200 people saying our lecturer is absolutely useless, so I think (and I really hope) that'll get someone's attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

stolenwine wrote: »

If you ask me that's very dependent on your course etc.

We asked for them at the end of second year because we had rather a lot of issues and there was a staff meeting held to discuss what the evaluations brought up and a lot of the things we mentioned were changed.

Also Dr. Breslin in Physics used to give out evaluation sheets about once a fortnight asking for any suggestions as to how she could improve her class etc and was amazing for trying her best to implement what she could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

t_ucd wrote: »
    Well, for one of my classes they're going to get 200 people saying our lecturer is absolutely useless, so I think (and I really hope) that'll get someone's attention.

Ha mwah ha ha ha ha haa......*wipes tear away*
    If you ask me that's very dependent on your course etc.

We asked for them at the end of second year because we had rather a lot of issues and there was a staff meeting held to discuss what the evaluations brought up and a lot of the things we mentioned were changed.

Also Dr. Breslin in Physics used to give out evaluation sheets about once a fortnight asking for any suggestions as to how she could improve her class etc and was amazing for trying her best to implement what she could.

Agreed I am just talking from my own experience. Our whole class filled out forms with detailed commentary on specific courses, these forms were subsequently submitted to the head of department. Two insiders told us that they weren't considered and never went further than the department. I wonder if we had bypassed the department who should we have approached with the information?

Who regulates the regulators?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

I've been getting those for two years. For two years we've been filling them out telling them that 3-hour long lectures are no use. That you can't concentrate on one thing for that long.

This semester, I have 5 subjects, 3 of which are taught in three hour blocks. Another is a 2 hour and a 1 hour. The other is my elective. They either don't read them or don't care.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There was a quality assurance department at one stage but I think that was a fixed term initiative. I'm not sure exactly what became of it. As far as I can see nothing really gets done with those forms.

Some people just cannot effectively communicate and this is a big problem for those that they teach and ultimately examine. Simple things like learning the right volume to talk at, how to annunciate and how to not bore people aren't just god-given - they get practised and learned. How to best make use of things like PA systems is something that a quick half hour's work would teach. Putting together good visual material whether overheads, handouts, slides or whatnot takes time and attention.

The main issue is that nobody is examined on their ability to teach or present prior to being given an academic job. UCD offers courses for staff but they're not compulsory for anybody. I have been at a conference where over half the people talking didn't actually speak up and look down at the audience. Result - very interesting material but I couldn't keep my attention focused. I'd pity anyone listening to them with a view to having to do an exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I think it must depend on the course and the people involved whether these get implemented or not. Dr Giles made some changes in the module we have him for this year based on feedback we gave him last year and it's working out very well. On the other hand, I hear this year's 1st meds are still being taught Healthcare Informatics for the 3rd time despite the overwhelmingly negative response our class gave to the question, 'Is it a waste of time to teach this subject to students who have already taken it in Foundation Year?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Poor Student

They offered these evaluations long before Horizons came in. It was very much dependent on the lecturer or department.

• Advertisement
Advertisement