Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet 4mb ADSL2 Line Lucan

Options
  • 19-10-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey Everyone, well I have a question or a theory, I am a usenet person, back in the states I used to download at least 100 or so gigs a month, before I left for Ireland, in 2006. Coming to Ireland at the late end of last year and trying to find internet that came close in terms of bandwidth led me to magnet. They only allow 100 gigs a month or so and I use that pretty fast because I download Hong Kong TV Shows as well as American. I have been over the 100 gig limity pretty frequently in the last 3 months averaging 120gigs or so per month, my question do you guys is two fold:

1 - I have not seen an increase in my bill from magnet due to the overage but do you think they will hit me with some sort of exhorbitant bill later on? Anyone else had any experience?

2 - Do you know of any ISP in ireland that does not limit bandwidth, my old provider Charter Cable in the states let me download 100's of gigs without a problem, I was doing a terabyte of data per year from 2003 - 2006?

Thanks

Crian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

crianp wrote: »
    Hey Everyone, well I have a question or a theory, I am a usenet person, back in the states I used to download at least 100 or so gigs a month, before I left for Ireland, in 2006. Coming to Ireland at the late end of last year and trying to find internet that came close in terms of bandwidth led me to magnet. They only allow 100 gigs a month or so and I use that pretty fast because I download Hong Kong TV Shows as well as American. I have been over the 100 gig limity pretty frequently in the last 3 months averaging 120gigs or so per month, my question do you guys is two fold:

1 - I have not seen an increase in my bill from magnet due to the overage but do you think they will hit me with some sort of exhorbitant bill later on? Anyone else had any experience?

2 - Do you know of any ISP in ireland that does not limit bandwidth, my old provider Charter Cable in the states let me download 100's of gigs without a problem, I was doing a terabyte of data per year from 2003 - 2006?

Thanks

Crian

Smart Telecom and they are in your area already.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Somebody on this forum said magnet's cap was 150 GB, and I could not find the official figure on their website. They talk about 'fair usage' but not specific caps.

Did not know that Magnet were still doing DSL - thought they got out of that line to concentrate on FTTH in specific developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

crianp wrote: »

Thanks

Crian
    Irish Broadband are one of the only companies in Ireland that don't have a specific cap and they don't block ports. However there is a fair usage policy in the contract so... I dunno really tis up to yourself. Their site is at www.irishbroadband.ie if you wanna check them out. They do offer DSL but they're mainly a fixed wireless solution.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Achilles wrote: »
    Irish Broadband are one of the only companies in Ireland that don't have a specific cap and they don't block ports. However there is a fair usage policy in the contract so... I dunno really tis up to yourself. Their site is at www.irishbroadband.ie if you wanna check them out. They do offer DSL but they're mainly a fixed wireless solution.

Smart don't have a cap either, just a fair usage policy like IBB.

I certainly wouldn't move from Magent to IBB, unless they threw you off Magnet.

As Magnet operate a fair usage policy, they shouldn't charge you more with out first warning you. I'd stick with Magnet until they tell you differently and if forced, then move to Smart if available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭crianp

Thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated, Magnet is pretty good so far therefore I think I will stay with them, just wanted to see if there were better alternatives

• Advertisement
Advertisement