Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrghhh!! Still can't get DVD drive working!!

Options
  • 19-10-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Ok, I had a thread on here before explaining all this:

Basically, built a new pc but couldn't get it to recognise IDE drive. So I uipgraded my PSU to a Corsair 620watt and bought a new SATA DVD-RW drive. Plugged it all in and started it up and I still can't get it to show a DVD drive!! :(

I just cleared the cmos by moving the jumper for a minute and still nothing! A light comes on the front of the drive on start up and the tray opens and closes. Yet when I go to My Computer all I am seeing is the C: drive and A: drive (even though I don't have a floppy drive).

Who do I have to murder around here to get this thing going! :mad::mad::mad::eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

check settings in bios, do they show up there?

if theyre ide hdd's, make sure you have everything set to master and slave in the correct order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

check settings in bios, do they show up there?

if theyre ide hdd's, make sure you have everything set to master and slave in the correct order.

Both the harddrive and the new dvd rw drive are sata. So I don't need master and slave? or do I?

It comes up in device manager but there is a yellow exclamation mark beside it. I noticed it was mentioned in the start up screen.

Theres only one drive per channel in sata

Windows sets the first partition of the first detected boot drive as C: regardless.

then, if im right, u have 3 sata cables goin to ur mobo, make sure hdd 1 is in sata slot 1, hdd2 is ins slot 2, and dvd in sata port 3 on ur motherboard

itl tell u which is which in ur mobo manual

Theres only one drive per channel in sata

Windows sets the first partition of the first detected boot drive as C: regardless.

then, if im right, u have 3 sata cables goin to ur mobo, make sure hdd 1 is in sata slot 1, hdd2 is ins slot 2, and dvd in sata port 3 on ur motherboard

itl tell u which is which in ur mobo manual

Well no, I only have two sata cables. I have complete removed old IDE dvd drive.

Hmmm, I have the DVD in the Sata5 socket on the board!!

py2006 wrote: »
    Well no, I only have two sata cables. I have complete removed old IDE dvd drive.

Hmmm, I have the DVD in the Sata5 socket on the board!!

sorry, misread. taut u had 2 sata hdd's

• Advertisement

well my thoughts are:

dvd drive in wrong port on mobo

or, (just occured to me) drivers for ur sata dvd drive not installed

well my thoughts are:

dvd drive in wrong port on mobo

or, (just occured to me) drivers for ur sata dvd drive not installed

Well I just changed the dvd drive to the Sata2 port on the board and according to windows I have the most up to date drivers. ( I went to device manager and right clicked on it and then clicked update driver)

The only other thing to try (Which I cant do as I don't have a floppy drive) is to update the bios!

But surely with my current bios version it should recognise dvd drives!

hmmm...then i dunno. ya could actually try shouting at it....

( i have had bad experience with updating bios )

hmmm...then i dunno. ya could actually try shouting at it....

( i have had bad experience with updating bios )

Oh I have done that! I have even used naughty words and still not working.

• Advertisement

Oh I have done that! I have even used naughty words and still not working.

DISOBEDIENT little twat of a dvd burner!

Somebody must know what I am doing wrong or whats wrong with the feckin thing! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

You say your getting an exclamation mark in windows on the dvd drive....does the drive actually work at the bios level outside of windows ?

If the dvd drive didn't work how did you install the OS ?

Is the dvd drive seen in the bios ok not device manager ?

Can you boot from the DVD drive using a bootable cd ?

Woo Hoo I got it working:

http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=topic_02125&ppn=PB42B00901

Yea it was in the bios. It worked for me when I initially installed vista but not long after that it didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Woo Hoo I got it working:

Bet that felt good? :D:D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement