Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question of Etiquette

Options
  • 19-10-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Do I bring a treat for my tattoo artist? BME advise that bad tattoos happen if you don't bring ice-coffee for your artist. And I don't want that at all! Any canvases of Jani's out there know what types of snacks he likes?

Also, is it correct to tip your artist before the inking if he draws up some of the extra bits of tattoo detail for you? I was thinking of getting my tattoo in a month, but I want the design finalized well in advance. So I was going to go into Celestial Ring tomorrow and see if Jani could help me with the vines. Do I tip him then, and also after I get the tattoo, or just a big one all at the end?

Thanks for the help everyone, I just want to make sure I do everything right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Personally I've tried to feed him all sorts of stuff and he's always refused, but maybe he just thinks I look like I might try and poison him or something!

As for tipping, the etiquette here seems to be very different to anywhere else in the world. Most people I've spoken to don't tip at all, but since I'm getting such a large piece I plan to just tip very well at the end considering it's taken over half a year. Would be interested to hear other people's views on the subject actually, good question popecatapetal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I just left my deposit to the italians, he wasnt that friendly to me but some tattooists prefer to just keep quiet and concentrate on the job.
    Up to yourself buddy, ireland isnt a big tipping nation and well i think you are paying enough as it is...great question

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

It very much depends on the service you get, I s'pose.

As was said before, nobody in Ireland expects tips from anybody.

But if a tattoo artist spent a lot of time and thought on a design and did a really good job, then I'd definitely tip about 10% of the price of the tattoo. As well as that, I'd go out of my way to advertise them, and to return to them as much as possible.

If they did a **** job, I'd ask for a student discount and tell everyone how **** they are.

I think a good reputation is worth much more than a few quid.

Good reputation = lots more high paying customers!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

personally i always tip 20quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

McFearless wrote: »
    personally i always tip 20quid!
    What he said, with more for bigger pieces. Even tip on piercings but only when I'm handing the cash to the actual piercer will I throw something extra in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement