Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay & Display: Parking

• 19-10-2007 5:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Im sure most of us have spotted the new machines for parking payment.. never used one of these myself. Whats everyones opinion? Prefer the disc or the machine?

Full Article:-
    Roll out of pay and display parking from next Monday
    By Deirdre Dalton

THE pay and display parking machines, which have begun to appear in the city centre, will be operational from Monday next, October 22.

The 70 machines are located at Bridge Street, The Glen, Ballybricken, Mayor’s Walk, Newgate Street, Brown’s Lane, Castle Street, Manor Street, John Street, Waterside, Canada Street, Scotch Quay and Adelphi Quay.

Within this zone the existing disc parking system will cease to exist. Locations outside of the listed areas will still be governed by disc parking.

Explaining the practicalities of the new system, Jim Hickey, Senior Executive Engineer, Traffic Management stated, “the parking tariff within the above Pay and Display zone will be €1.50 per hour, which compares very favourably with the rates within privately-run car parks within the same city centre area.”

“The charge within public streets outside the Pay and Display area will remain at €1.40 per hour.

Meanwhile, the machines will accept 10 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent, €1 and €2 coins. “Although no change will be given out by the machine, there will be a clear sign on the machine face to this effect, thereby avoiding any possible confusion,” stated Jim.

Outlining the major advantages of the system, he explained, “Before motorists were obliged to pay for a minimum of a full hour’s parking. In the Pay and Display system, however, a motorist wishing to park for 10 minutes, say, will now need only pay for 10 minutes’ parking.”

“Under the disc system, the motorist was obliged to obtain a parking disc from a nearby retailer. In the Pay and Display zone, from next Monday, however, the motorist, irrespective of which street he/she parks in, will have a ticket machine literally within a few seconds walk of the parked vehicle,” he continued.

“For the first transition period, our traffic wardens will continue to accept parking discs within the Pay and Display zone, allowing members of the public to use up their remaining discs,” Jim explained.

In an effort to aid the smooth introduction of the system Waterford City Council’s traffic wardens and other staff members will be out and about, advising motorists regarding any queries they may have.

“Waterford City Council is very confident that the Pay and Display system will prove very popular among the motoring public,” concluded Jim.

Source: http://waterford-news.ie/news/story.asp?j=26927&cat=news

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

bloody hell just after i bought parking discs they better still be valid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I remember when they had these machines years ago and did away with them to introduce the paper disc you punch holes through.

Don't worry Trish, they will still accept the discs for a few weeks changeover period.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya I remember the old system. Why did the move away and now back again?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I think its handy if they have the machines, easy install as their now all solar powered and saves people having to go into shops....as long as the machines are kept in working order.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv seen a few already vandalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

Sully wrote: »
    Ya I remember the old system. Why did the move away and now back again?

Because government at all levels, local and national, is presided over by a bunch of donkeys - the names just change occasionally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

where did you see them vandalised sully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    as i know the person in charge of them and up to 14.00 todat none have been damaged as they all contain a sim card and if anything goes wrong with them they send a text message to a designated number and can be identified and fixed(did not hasppen yet) and on another note they are virtually indestructable none have been damaged countrywide even after been hit by a lorry.. and the money cant be robbed from them..

so meaby what sully saw was one of the technications working on them...
    or meaby sully needs glasses???????????

portlairge; Outside Yeats iv seen a small amount of graffiti on it. I cant think of any type of system that would recognise that type of vandalism.

I think its also fairly obvious if someone is a technician or an eejit breaking up the machine. To date, I have not seen that. Just a fair few covers missing and one machine I looked at had a small amount of graffiti on it.

Also, I wear contact lenses. But thanks. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

in fairness anything stationery is open to vandalism so yes i can see it happening ,only time will tell if this system will work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Actually the monstrosity on Barronstrand St has survived thusfar, so maybe there's hope for the parking machines.

I really don't think anyone will pay for 10mins parking though. Chances are people will have a quick glance to see if they can see the warden and if not then happily go off and return a few minutes later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement