Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science *******d?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I'm taking part in the Science *******d in DCU this November. I chose chemistry as I it is my favourite but really don't have a clue what to study.

If anyone has ever taken part before or knows someone who has please post here. Is there really anyway to prepare or specific topics to understand or is it all just problem solving?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

You'd need to look at the A level books 'cos Nordie students do the 0lympiad too. I did bio, there was stuff like "Golgi apparatus" and "endoplasmic reticulum" that I'd never heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Thanks for the reply but I think you maybe thinking about something for the LC. The thing I'm doing is based on JC maths and science results. I don't think they do the JC in Northern Ireland, more along the lines of the GCSE.
    Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

im doing the biology one, which was supposedly mcqs only before. from what i hear there's been a practical exam + a mcq exam in the chemistry one. im not too sure what standard they'll be expecting, but i've covered most of the lc stuff anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Thanks for the reply but I think you maybe thinking about something for the LC. The thing I'm doing is based on JC maths and science results. I don't think they do the JC in Northern Ireland, more along the lines of the GCSE.
    Thanks for the help.

That's the Junior *******d isn't it? Anyway, I can't remember what the standard of that, or if there were people from Norn Iron at that one, so I'm not much help. For the senior *******d, Norn Iron students have an advantage to be fair, but there's usually a fairly decent mix of students selected I think. Have fun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

waheyyy wrote: »
    im doing the biology one, which was supposedly mcqs only before. from what i hear there's been a practical exam + a mcq exam in the chemistry one. im not too sure what standard they'll be expecting, but i've covered most of the lc stuff anyway...

How have you covered most of the lc stuff, are you in 5th year?
    I hope to God they don't ask us about the lc course. I bought a revision book for lc chemistry but am only 3 chapters in (to much time spent on computer) and while definitely doable, it all requires a certain amount of knowledge of previous chapters. In short, it is all related.
    Luckily though from what's in the revision book, chemistry seems to call for certain amounts of logical thinking. Hopefully, logical thinking will be sufficient for what I thought was a predominently advanced/initiative based "exam".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

no, i'm in 4th year. i've just been doing a small bit every night really. see i was told from the beginning that it was lc stuff so....apparently (this is all 2nd hand info btw...) it's similar to the australian *******d, slightly easier though. you can find the past papers here... http://www.aso.edu.au/www/index.cfm?itemid=31

Advertisement