Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours English

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We're not even touching Donne or Larkin. Of course one can do a poet in their own time, but the teacher I'd say, would prefer to do the most accessible six, as opposed to spending time discussing a poet that only a tiny number of people may like/understand.

Ye are not doing Donne?!?! He is genious, our teacher left the best for last this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I might give him a read, but can't really dedicate an awful lot of time doing extra stuff with the amount of homework we get. I like Boland and Mahon anyway so I just hope one of them comes up.

I loved english last year.

But I now despise it.

Why you ask.. Because I am repeating.. and Ive to get through a brand new course in one year! Wooohoo.

My texts are ****.

'Othello' = play.
    'Lies of silence' = Novel. Along with 'The Plough and The stars'.
    'Cinema Paradiso' = Film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissEve

im doin ordinary level english cos im form diferent country but i would love do honours level if my english would me better :( i think english language is easy and exams in ireland is much easer then in my country :)lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

MissEve wrote: »
    im doin ordinary level english cos im form diferent country but i would love do honours level if my english would me better :( i think english language is easy and exams in ireland is much easer then in my country :)lol

what country are you from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

Jakkass wrote: »
    I find it woeful, what texts are you doing for it?

I'm doing My Left Foot, Philadelphia Here I Come, and How Many Miles to Babylon.

Im doin My Left Foot and Philadelphia Here I Come aswell, with Wuthering Heights as my the novel im studying.
    Do people findf the novel way too long? wuthering heights has 4 or 500 pages its hard to follow wats goin on

Lies of Silence is 200 pages max I'd guess. : )
    I would have loved to do Life of Pi as it's an amazing book, but I'm glad we didn't because it's hella long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

But I now despise it.

Why you ask.. Because I am repeating.. and Ive to get through a brand new course in one year! Wooohoo.

My texts are ****.

'Othello' = play.
    Having to do a whole new course in one year, that really sucks, at least since your repeating you can give it a bit more time than subjects your already good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

paddy007 wrote: »
    Im doin My Left Foot and Philadelphia Here I Come aswell, with Wuthering Heights as my the novel im studying.
    Do people findf the novel way too long? wuthering heights has 4 or 500 pages its hard to follow wats goin on

How Many Miles to Babylon hooks in nicely to the other two due to it also being about a family situation.

It's also only about 150 pages. I found it to be pretty good.

But I now despise it.

My texts are ****.

'Othello' = play.

I thought Othello couldn't be used for the comparative since it is also on the question in relation to a studied play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 paddy007

But I now despise it.

Repeating... hates that! And to have to study different texts aswell. u must really want do get dat course u missed out on last year.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I thought Othello couldn't be used for the comparative since it is also on the question in relation to a studied play.
    As far as I know, you can use it in the comparative, and you use a different text for your Single Text. You just have to do it somewhere.

Ah okay. My teacher said it was a no no to use Othello for comparative so that must be why. Rather logical indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Im doing Wuthering Heights, How Many Miles to Babylon and My Left Foot and Jakkass is right, those three work wonders together. Especially comparing the father/son relationships (Hindley/Hareton, Christy and his father, Alec and his father) and to a lesser extent, mother/son relationships

About the poetry, we're doing Mahon, Boland, Larkin, Donne and Rich. He's fairly confident that those first 4 will be the poets that will come up. But as long as Mahon comes up im sorted. Anybody else and :(

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

deise59 wrote: »
    About the poetry, we're doing Mahon, Boland, Larkin, Donne and Rich. He's fairly confident that those first 4 will be the poets that will come up. But as long as Mahon comes up im sorted. Anybody else and :(
    My teacher is fairly confident that Rich will come up. Apparantly the department of education were trying to get her on the course for years but she wouldn't allow them permission.

And there is the unwritten rule of a female poet...that's why Sylvia Plath was a definite for last years course, she is deadly! Much better than Rich and Boland. I wish Montague was on again this year, well he is, but he is unlikely to come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I love Sylvia Plath, t'is a pity she's not on my course this year. =(
    The only female poet we're doing is Adrianne Rich- not too fond of her, I must say.

Rich is just a raging feminist. >.<

(Though Trying To Talk With a Man is good. As is Storm Warnings. But that's it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I hate English.

Its mental torture. Especially poetry.

My teacher told me that if I still hate poetry by this time in 6th year that he is doing his job wrong! lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

My english teacher is a total tool!

I'm repeating my LC, got a B1 in english last yr, so naturally WAS hoping for an A this year. Yet sadly my english teacher this yr is an utter disaster.

We've only done like 2 poets and Othello at the mo, it's actually quite worrying, having already done the LC I know how quick time goes once Christmas has come.

I can't believe my school would be so stupid as to assign somebody like him to a repeat honours class.
    How much has ye got covered so far?

• Advertisement

We've done everything except we've only got 3 poets or so prepared, and comparative needs more work. Well everything needs more work, but technically it's "done".

Ok thats actually quite scary! looks like I'll have to do some comparatives of my own over xmas!! :eek:

Ye have a class just for repeats???

yup, just for repeats. We have separate classes for the majority of subjects only one or two of my classes that we're with actual 6th yrs that aren't repeats

Wow...there must be loads of ye so!
    Only 5 of us, and only 4 of us took the LC last year...

I'd say over around 40ish, but like we've a few repeat classes, like there wudn't b 40 of us sittin in a english lesson if ya get me lol

Yer not in yeats by anychance?

Sheesh 40??? Where do you go to school?
    No not in Yeats, I went back to my old school! 2 of the girls from my year last year are repeating in yeats...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Its hard to get a high grade in something you struggle with or dislike.
    Its quite an easy subject to study though.. you can practically learn your answers for the exam. Which I don't particularly agree with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

anyone know of a website that runs through each poem by various poets on the course?? just to use to make notes on language, theme, structure n all that or am i living im dream-world??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fanatic4Life

Love English, deffo a fave subject :D We're doing My Left Foot, Philadelphia, Here I Come! and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. I like 'em all well enough.

We've only really done three poets though :/ We did Frost, Plath and Boland last year. Boland will prolly come up, but I don't see the other two standing a chance. We've since done Donne and Rich. Just gonna be annoying having to draw out the poetry part of all this since I think he expected to have it done.

Advertisement