Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring power cable

Options
  • 19-10-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Just got my computer from germany, came with a strange power cable. Is it safe to just rewire this cable onto an Irish plug? It looks as if it has 3 wires inside. The plug has two round prongs and a metal hole, presumably for an earth prong protrufing from the socket.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yep thats a standard european plug, You probably could chop it off and rewire it to an irish plug but if its a standard computer kettle lead wouldnt you just be better off using an irish lead? It would probably be safer to just use an irish lead anyway rather than putting your own plug on the existing lead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

The problem is that my sister needs one of the computers all day tomorrow, and I want to play with the shiny new one. Having only 3 power cables for 4 devices needing power, i figured itd be quicker to cut up the useless cable that came with the computer than go out and buy a new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

TPD wrote: »
    The problem is that my sister needs one of the computers all day tomorrow, and I want to play with the shiny new one. Having only 3 power cables for 4 devices needing power, i figured itd be quicker to cut up the useless cable that came with the computer than go out and buy a new cable.

It is just the cable to the PSU right? If so it's fine to hack it up as long as live, neutral and earth are all wired correctly.

Advertisement