Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing Connection on Desktop

Options
  • 19-10-2007 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering can anyone help with this?

I have a broadband router with a laptop connected via wireless and a desktop PC connected directly from the NIC into the router. I keep losing connection on the desktop but the latop is fine. Both have XP.

From cmd on the Desktop i cant ping the gateway (router) and ipconfig just shows 'Windows IP Configuration'. I have turn the router on/off and no joy.

Why does it keep losing the info?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

does the light ( indicating phyical connectivity) always stay on on both the router an don the network card ?? Change the cable out maybe .

You may also be advised to reset the windows tcp stack as per this instruction

http://commandwindows.com/netsh.htm
    Reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Another example of using the Netsh Internet Ip context is resetting TCP/IP. For several reasons, including infestation from spyware, these settings might get corrupted. Netsh contains a command that will reset the TCP/IP stack to the original settings that existed when the operating system was installed. These settings may not be the most up-to-date for your system but they will allow you to reconfigure after a spyware invasion or other problem. The command to reset TCP/IP is netsh int ip reset {logfile} Note that you must include the name of a file where a log of the actions will be placed. Thus, if the log file is C:\tcplog.txt, the command is netsh int ip reset C:\tcplog.txt A detailed description of reinstalling TCP/IP is given at this Microsoft reference. Also, see the Winsock section below.

on the other hand it could be a dodgy DHCP lease from the router but that whould affect wireless too so I think not .

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    does the light ( indicating phyical connectivity) always stay on on both the router an don the network card ?? Change the cable out maybe .

You may also be advised to reset the windows tcp stack as per this instruction

http://commandwindows.com/netsh.htm

on the other hand it could be a dodgy DHCP lease from the router but that whould affect wireless too so I think not .

Sorry, should have said. Lights are all good on the NIC and Router, i changed the cable thinking it was that first alright.

I'll try that and let you know how i get on.

Scratch that. Device Manager -> NIC -> Driver

Sorted !!

Scratch that. Device Manager -> NIC -> Driver

Sorted !!

Edit: Posting from Desktop

Advertisement