Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless atenna with extension lead?

• 19-10-2007 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

My apologies if this question has been asked already.

I have an all-in-one modem from a Dutch provider which does phone distribution/ADSL/LAN router/wireless LAN. It has to be in the utility closet because that's were my main phone line comes in and where my house phone lines meet up, so for distributing the phone network around my house the modem needs to be there.

As you can imagine though, having a wireless router in the utility closed isn't the best place, it's in a bad place in the house and there's all sorts of electrics and metal fuseboxes in there interfering with the wireless LAN broadcast.

Now, this modem has one of those removable Wireless LAN antennas. Is it possible to buy a wireless broadcast antenna with a lead/wire on it, so that I can put the antenna outside the utility closet? Does such a thing exist?

Another option is to set up an old wireless router I have hanging around, and connect it up to the all-in-one modem in the utility closet with an ethernet cable. That would be a more cumbersome solution though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Is it possible to buy a wireless broadcast antenna with a lead/wire on it, so that I can put the antenna outside the utility closet? Does such a thing exist?

Yes...what may work well is a circular magnetic base mount with an aerial socket to suit the aerial you choose. Most times you can buy a kit. Beforehand, you will have to check the cable connection used on your modem. It will be either a RP-SMA or RP-TNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

i found a cable and the antenna is now mounted outside the utility closet, and the wireless has improved greatly.

what's this magnetic basemount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I also suggest that you look here for suggestions: http://forum.wirelessnederland.nl

Advertisement