Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to smart.

Options
  • 19-10-2007 7:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Smart have just enabled my exchange and I'm wondering what the change over process is like. How long does it take? Can I keep my old number (I don't really care about it but my parents wouldn't like it to change)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

Smart have just enabled my exchange and I'm wondering what the change over process is like. How long does it take? Can I keep my old number (I don't really care about it but my parents wouldn't like it to change)?

I just try to change, Smart told me I get a new number and it will take about 3 weeks, will see how it ends.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I called a while back and for me they said I could keep the number, also if you mention Boards.ie they give you €75 back, there's a banner about it. My sxchange is tallght might have something to do with that.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I recently changed over. The process took <7 days!

Basically, they put in a request to eircom to move you over to their equipment. You'll notice that initially your eircom voicemail will deactivate and then within a couple of days your dial tone will change to a slightly higher pitch one, once this happens you'll know you're on the Smart exchange. Also, the announcements change from eircom ones to weird computer-generated robochick ones.

As soon as you're connected, you should be able to get your broadband up and running

I would suggest you go to http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ their technical support via that site is second to none and the forum's constantly monitored.

You'll get a Smart number issued and then it's just a matter of waiting for eircom to port your old number over. Sadly, this can take a while as eircom are rather slow. But, in the meantime you can use your smart phone and broadband services.

I have to say I am very impressed with Smart so far. Everything's worked exactly as promised and the speed is fantastic.

The only thing I am disappointed with is the voice service currently lacks voicemail, but since I use blueface for my calls it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Blueface's VoIP service is extremely feature rich.

Advertisement