Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood & uPVC show last week

Options
  • 19-10-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I'm surprised that we didn't see any comment on the show that was in the RDS last weekend. I would have liked to have gone but was too busy to spare the time and am not directly connected to that business.

Do anyone go or were all you woodworkers to busy to go too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Yep I went. I thought that it was more geared towards industry than back yard wood butchering. Lots of big expensive machinery for CAD/CAM stuff. Scheppach had some nice gear that was more in my range, and there was a fella there with a skil saw that ran along a rail ( like the Festool one but not as expensive). It was a nice bit of kit and I was tempted, but did not buy it. Still thinking about it though! Got a load of free pencils which was good.
    I was disappointed with the Axminster stand, would have been nice to see some LN planes in the flesh. Overall I thought it was like the show that was out near the Airport in the summer. Has anybody been to that big show in Alexandra Palace? I think it is usually in Feb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I went to the show in allypally a few years ago.Everything you would ever want was there from bargain tool stands to demos from pro's.It's a huge hall stuffed to the gills. Well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

:confused:Is there another place or thread or whatever you call them about woodworking on boards .ie that I dont know about. Some of the posts have been displayed for months. Or is it me nobody has "Signed" in since I did last year I think ,Jeeze a fellow wouldnt want to be sensitive on this site.
    I asked if there was anybody around the Carlow area within 20mls. who would let me see a lathe working as I havent an idea how to go about it and apart from Geoff tulip and Kadman and if I'v missed anyone else I'm sorry, I know it was suggested I contact the Woodturners Ass. and they replyed they would get in touch with me. I'm WAITING.
    I would have no problem paying for lessons or just to look, so I'll spread the net to 50mls.to see if that will help me.I've had an offer from the American Woodturners Ass. to visit them if I ever get to US but at least it was an offer. I've bought a lathe a cheap one and some tools I'm waiting for a chuck and some DVDs to arrive from Uk [delayed by postal strike] only because of the safety factor I'd have a go meself. I can say in all honesty that at my age I'm not going to affect anybodys livelyhood by what I'll be doing.
    If anybody gets to read this post even if your a gardener or blacksmith just post something so that I'll know that somebody is still out there Boysie:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

Hi Boysie,
    Well I reckon that this ain't the most active forum on the 'net. I'm not a turner but I do find instructional DVD'S from Tautons very handy for starting me off on new woodworking techniques and at 20 bucks a pop they are good value.

http://store.taunton.com/onlinestore/item/061017.html

Cheers

F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

Boysie, these boys wouldn't be far away from you- they supply Irish grown hardwoods and turning blanks, they may be able to direct you to a local turner:

http://irishwoods.com/stockroom/index.htm

I emailed them in the past with another query and they were very helpful and courteous;, I'd say their place would be worth a trip if even just to see the set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

boysie39 wrote: »
    I asked if there was anybody around the Carlow area within 20mls. who would let me see a lathe working as I havent an idea how to go about it and apart from Geoff tulip and Kadman and if I'v missed anyone else I'm sorry, I know it was suggested I contact the Woodturners Ass. and they replyed they would get in touch with me. I'm WAITING.
    I would have no problem paying for lessons or just to look, so I'll spread the net to 50mls.to see if that will help me.

Boysie, I saw your original query, but I assumed I'd be outside of your 'catchment area' as it were being in Bray. Now, I wouldn't say that I'm an expert by any means, and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with giving anyone proper full-blown lessons as such, but if you wanted to just come along and have a look and see to get an idea of the basics, and have a quick go yourself then you'd be welcome (no payment required!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

Alun wrote: »
    Boysie, I saw your original query, but I assumed I'd be outside of your 'catchment area' as it were being in Bray. Now, I wouldn't say that I'm an expert by any means, and I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with giving anyone proper full-blown lessons as such, but if you wanted to just come along and have a look and see to get an idea of the basics, and have a quick go yourself then you'd be welcome (no payment required!).

Alun , thats very generous of you I have to go up to Naas Hosp. next Monday morn. I should be finished about 12oclock if I were to come out to you about 2.30 would that suit, or whatever you suggest.
    I bought the lathe from a bloke in Dun Laoire last week ,the poor man was not too well so I did'nt bother him for info. Whenever suits you will be ok with me ,If you tell me when I'll be there. Regds. Boysie

PS, thanks to all who replied Carpainter and Fingalian will post to you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hi Boysie, I'll PM you to arrange things further.

Advertisement