Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legal position on using vegetable oil?

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Quick question here lads:

What is the legal situation regarding excise and running a diesel car on vegetable oil? By veg oil, I mean using litre bottles of Aldi's or Lidl's finest (cheapest :D). Is it illegal, and punishable, or whats the story? Looking at an old golf with the 1.6 indirect turbo diesel engine, which would probably be a good candidate for this fuel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try www.ecocar.ie for more info. They mightbe able to give you some more info. As far as I know there is still duty to be paid on the veg oil. I think it works out at something like 60c a litre.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yep duty is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how do they know how much oil you buy? surely you need only pay duty on one or two drums and the rest of the time pretend to be Ronald McDonald and claim it for "personal use"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

How many bottles of oil do you need to get 200 miles out of the vegetable engine?:D Would u have to buy the entire shelf of aldi's?:eek::confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Pfff just buy the oil and run, no point for letting the authorities know...

• Advertisement
Advertisement