Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My MUG €5 to €500 Thread.

Options
  • 19-10-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Following the incredible success of mike65's thread, I decided I would give this a bash :) Obviously it's going to fail miserably, but I can live the dream, can't I?
    1. Argentina to beat France in the WC 3rd Place Play-off at 1.09 for €5 while 22-3 up.
    2. No hat-trick to be scored in Everton vs. Liverpool match at 1.03 for €5.43.
    3. Chelsea to beat Middlesborough at 1.88 for €2.
    4. England to beat South Africa with a 20.5 pts headstart at 1.29 for €7.25.
    5. Lay Numancia/Numancia to win against Celta Vigo at 8.4 for liability of €7.40
    6. Backing Under 4.5 goals in AC Milan V Empoli at 1.16 for €10.19.
    7. Backing Roger Federer to beat David Nalbandian at 1.23 for €11.74.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Try Argentina! 27-3 to the Pumas with less than 15 minutes to go :)

27-10, France score a try! Squeaky bum time for me.

32-10, Argies score a try, superb from Contepomi! This surely seals it for Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Taking the argies to win was a fair cert.
    It will take you ages to make it to 500

I posted up handicap odds that I thought were a steal, Arg -5 @ 5/6

A winner! Bank now stands at €5.43.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Taking the argies to win was a fair cert.
    It will take you ages to make it to 500

I posted up handicap odds that I thought were a steal, Arg -5 @ 5/6
    To be honest, I didn't want to be wiped out on my first bet ;)

If you remember from mike65's thread.
    The risk is greater but thr return is greater. If you made mutliple bets like the one above, by the time you reach the same reward as the 5/6 bet, the total risk would of also been the same, infact it might of even be more as there was much more value in the handicap bet.
    The chances of france winning the match weren't too far from their chances of being within 5, but the difference is odds was considerable. There has been great value in the handicap bets all RWC.

The bets you are making are really short, infact boringly so. It will take you ages to make any money, and somewhere there will be a hiccup.

The bets you are making are really short, infact boringly so. It will take you ages to make any money, and somewhere there will be a hiccup.
    :confused:

Sorry for disappointing you dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

The only way this'll work is if he's extremely cautious. Besides, it's his thread not yours so if you find it boring don't bother reading it??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

G'wan Raskolnikov! :)

Ignore the begrudgers, of whom there seem to be far too many on gambling.

Just for a laugh (ahem) I put a fiver on a four match Championship accum, if it comes off it'll yeild €125.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Two goals for Kujt, not a hat-trick though :)

€5.58.

Going to stick €2 on Chelsea to beat 'Boro at 1.88. Chelsea not exactly in the best shape, but they should have enough to cream 'Boro.

Chelsea 1-0 up!

Did you say something Mellor? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's fairly boring. C'mon. A 2 euro bet??

Chelsea win easily.

Bank at €7.25.

Backing England to win with a 20.5 pts headstart at 1.29 for €7.25.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's fairly boring. C'mon. A 2 euro bet??
    Small acrons, big trees and something such.

Hoping I can have my original €5 doubled by the end of the night.

Bank now at €9.24 after the rugby success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Small steps get you there. My 4 match accu leap did'nt get me anywhere. West Brom lost - the fools.

Mike.

Celta v Numancia finishes as draw/draw.

Bank now at €10.19.

Backing Under 4.5 goals in AC Milan V Empoli at 1.16 for €10.19.

The only way this'll work is if he's extremely cautious. Besides, it's his thread not yours so if you find it boring don't bother reading it??? :confused:
    Being cautious has no bearing on this. The risk is the same for multiple short bets as for a single long one.

I wish you all the best in this. And boring probably wasn't the word I was after. But I think you are overlooking the risk, the bookie probably has more of an edge in these short bets. Under 4.5 goals is a fairly sure bet, but every now and again there will be an upset and we'll see a 4-1 result.

Empoli beat AC Milan away from home 1-0 :eek: I won't argue with the result though :cool:

Bank €11.74

Going all in on Roger Federer at 1.23 while Roger is a set up but a break down in the second.

• Advertisement

The Fat Argie takes the second set :mad:

Priced at 1.32 now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Go on Raskolnikov get in there! F**k those that are negative towards this type of betting. Its only a bit of fun! We are not out to make millions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Go on Raskolnikov get in there! F**k those that are negative towards this type of betting. Its only a bit of fun! We are not out to make millions!

LOL....you do realise he lost it all yesterday with Federer losing?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Personally I'm glad this has run its course. It took 3 days to win under €7.

Please let's have no more. It's not that I mind anyone doing them I just don't believe they are worthy of individual threads.

And with regard to the bet that let this down. Nalbandian has now won 7 out of their last 15 meetings and was by far the better value bet in this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think this was just stupidly boring. I liked the other one when proper risks were taken

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

As Andy Pipkin would say "Yeah I know"

To the rest "SHUT AP!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'll say what I always say. You will NEVER make money by gambling on things you think are going to happen, no matter how certain you are. You win at gambling by finding value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

These threads are retarded. Full stop.

Thats really constructive.
    I would imagine that most boards users aren't here to make millions, but obviously we all like a flutter. In general the advice posted here tried to explain the difference between a bet likely to win, and a bet that contains alot of value.

zuutroy wrote: »
    I'll say what I always say. You will NEVER make money by gambling on things you think are going to happen, no matter how certain you are. You win at gambling by finding value.
    I made this point previous in the thread, and is this point that is paramount. Value does not mean the bet is likely to happen. It means that a bet is more likely to happen than the break even point of the odds. This is the EV(expected value) of the bet, we should bet on +EV bets only (or neutral or slightly even for fun only)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

Thats really constructive.
    I would imagine that most boards users aren't here to make millions, but obviously we all like a flutter. In general the advice posted here tried to explain the difference between a bet likely to win, and a bet that contains alot of value.

I made this point previous in the thread, and is this point that is paramount. Value does not mean the bet is likely to happen. It means that a bet is more likely to happen than the break even point of the odds. This is the EV(expected value) of the bet, we should bet on +EV bets only (or neutral or slightly even for fun only)

I disagree, what if you are a really good judge

Advertisement