Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M7 Northbound Mistake on new sign

• 19-10-2007 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed the other day that after J10 heading north on the M7 there is a new sign for Dublin 33KM and Naas North 6km. Have a look at the Irish for Naas North and can you spot the error?

It says "An Nás theas" ! :eek: (Naas South)

Does anyone check these things before the signs are made/erected?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

We need a pic of this for the Bad Signage thread :D

Get in the car now ->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Does anyone check these things before the signs are made/erected?
    No! :mad:

It's OUR MONEY these pillocks waste every day. These signs are not particularly cheap, especially when well over half of them contain errors. Signage was better when we had no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

especially when well over half of them contain errors.
    I never realised it was that bad. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Limerick City and County Councils need to put new signs for the R445 (the old N7) through Limerick City. However, considering the mess they'd likely make of it, and how much it would cost to make such a mess, I'm reluctant to even enquire of them if they're planning to put new signs up. The N7 Southern Ring Road was opened about 5 years ago, and although the official routes of national and regional roads weren't updated till 2006, the old N7 has been signposted as the R445 off the Newport Roundabout (start of the ring road) since it opened back in 2002 or so. Just a few hundred metres down the "R445" you get green signs again.

What's the point of having signs if they aren't going to be reliable and correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've seen that in a few places in Wicklow where you go down an old road between towns and the road is marked "N11".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

how much effort would it take to put the number in brackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

corktina wrote: »
    how much effort would it take to put the number in brackets?

To "bracket" a sign, it would not be much hassle.

It is a matter of removing the sign, sticking the bracket around the letter and replacing. The letters and background are cut out and transferred onto the metal base for most road signs. I know a guy who works as a signwriter and have seen him make roadsigns; it is one of those jobs that looks easy but is an art form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

In Limerick recently, 12 new "traffic watch" signs were put on traffic lights around the city with 1980 205 805 on them.
    When the number actually starts with 1890

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

We need a pic of this for the Bad Signage thread :D

Get in the car now ->

can't drive and take pics so illegal. hard to get one at whatever speed your travelling past it though

Advertisement