Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are suspects always detained in separate Garda stations

• 19-10-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Tis a question that I've often wondered about, is it something to do with the size of holding cells and communication, maximising senior detectives in different
    locations, psychological or some other reason, don't really think its any of the above though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I always assumed it was to stop them talking to each other and fixing their stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I always assumed it was to stop them talking to each other and fixing their stories.

Thats also what i think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

It is.

Cells are next to each other and people in them can talk or shout to each other.

In some cases they have been known to take apart cell blankets down to threads, attach drugs that were inside their bodies to these threads and swing the drugs attached to the threads from under one cell door to the next!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rasper wrote: »
    Tis a question that I've often wondered about, is it something to do with the size of holding cells and communication, maximising senior detectives in different
    locations, psychological or some other reason, don't really think its any of the above though.

I take it you mean two people accused of the same or related offences? I don't think it is a general policy, but there can be several reasons. I would think that one of the most common reason is that a lot of police stations have only 1 or 2 interview rooms so can only deal with one of the accused persons at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

So that they can prepare for new in-the-shower-now love scenes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, there isn't an unlimited supply of cells in each station. If a station has 5 cells and 3 are occupied. Showing up with 3 drunk and disorderlies on a Saturday night can cause temporary pressures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

No, it is a form of incommunicado to stop perps talking to each other & also to avoid cross contamination occurring...

TJ911...

Advertisement