Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moved Grammar Posts (from HWIST thread)

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Not on any high horse, or anything like it, but what is wrong with people today with the grammar used in posting?

Surely people know the difference between "seen" and "saw"

"I seen", "he seen me" ? :eek:

Come on now, surely nobody accepts this as correct English? There's nothing to drag down a post as much as someone incapable of spelling correctly or using bad grammar. Everyone will have the odd typo, but repeated bad grammar is a no no.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This isn't the English forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

So, by that answer, the level of grammar is acceptable?

(Another one, frequently seen, the inability to differentiate between "their" and "they're")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

Golferx wrote: »

(Another one, frequently seen, the inability to differentiate between "their" and "they're")

They're is notin wrong wit peeple sawing what they'd seen :D

Sorry - couldn't resist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Easy to slate someone's grammar on a forum. All you know about the person posting is their boards nick name, you don't know why their grammar is bad.

Ever consider they might not be native english speakers, dyslexic, to young to fully know the english language inside out, etc etc....

Mods can delete this post if they want, way of topic but i had to say it.

Golferx wrote: »

Get over yourself. If you want to discuss motoring thes post in this forum. If you want to discuss diction & grammar then I have shown you where the English forum is!
    End of story!
    Gentlemen (and ladies), restart your engines.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

jozi wrote: »
    Easy to slate someone's grammar on a forum. All you know about the person posting is their boards nick name, you don't know why their grammar is bad.

Ever consider they might not be native english speakers, dyslexic, to young to fully know the english language inside out, etc etc....

Mods can delete this post if they want, way of topic but i had to say it.

dito :D:p

Can't we remove these posts? IT's spoliing one of the best threads on boards!!

Done!

Gramer natzis should checked this site http://englishplus.com/grammar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

And while we're at it, what is peoples' obsession with spelling things in American English?

Like leaving out the 'u' in favour and colour, and Americanized instead of Americanised?

Anyway, this a forum about cars, so lets get back to what we do best :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered a Scoda Uctavia

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kbannon wrote: »
    Done!

Nice one :)

But it probably would've been more suited to this forum

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=328

:D:D:D:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good move cutting this out of the HWIST thread!

Golferx - I can understand why you're fed up with the Bertie style "I seen" kinda grammar. I feel it is mostly lazy when people use knacker grammar, but hey, I might be wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

E92 wrote: »
    ...and Americanized instead of Americanised?

That's not an Americanization. :p
    American spelling accepts only -ize endings in most cases, such as organize, recognize, and realize. British usage accepts both -ize and the more French-looking -ise (organise, recognise, realise). However, the -ize spelling is now rarely used in the UK in the mass media and newspapers, and is hence often incorrectly regarded as an Americanism,[29] despite being preferred by some authoritative British sources, including Fowler's Modern English Usage and the Oxford English Dictionary, which until recently did not list the -ise form of many individual words, even as an alternative. Indeed, it firmly deprecates this usage, stating, "[T]he suffix…, whatever the element to which it is added, is in its origin the Gr[eek] -ιζειν, L[atin] -izāre; and, as the pronunciation is also with z, there is no reason why in English the special French spelling in -iser should be followed, in opposition to that which is at once etymological and phonetic."[30] Noah Webster rejected -ise for the same reasons.[31]

Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

jozi wrote: »

Ever consider they might not be native English speakers, dyslexic, too young to fully know the English language inside out, etc., etc.?

Mods can delete this post if they want, way off topic but I had to say it.
    Fixed that for you. ;)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Complaining about bad grammar on the Internet is as futile as complaining about bad driving. And wtf is this topic doing on a motoring forum? OP, get a life.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

E92 wrote: »
    Anyway, this a forum about cars, so lets get back to what we do best :D.

Agreed.
    Now have you read this review of the new Tata;)
    http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=249448&area=/wheels_deals/new_reviews/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I taut I waz reading it rong, but y is dis in d motors 4um?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Probly a Rover driver.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

milltown wrote: »
    Probly a Rover driver.

In fairness, seems people get mixed up with M and U, along with W and S, when put beside a B. Driving down those wide lanes with "giant" blue and yellow cars! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Rovi wrote: »
    Fixed that for you. ;)

:D:D:D
    Oh gawd :mad:

You forgot to change the J in Jozi to a capital, just like i did when signing up

:D

• Advertisement

and thats a wrap folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement