Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save as JPG losing Saturation

Options
  • 19-10-2007 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

I'm using PS2 & I notice that when I save to JPG that I lose some saturation. I'm starting off with a raw image, making adjustments, saving as psd and then jpg. I have 3 layers, background, levels adj & Hue/Saturation adj. The photo looks fine in PS but opening the JPG in the image viewer it looks very dull.
    Is it normal for this to happen when saving to JPG?
    What can I do to prevent it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Make sure you create and embed an sRGB profile. Edit-> Create Color Profile, off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Thanks Mark, I checked my colour settings and it looks like I'm using an sRGB profile. I've attached a screenshot of my colour settings. Appreciate any pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

When you click on save is there an option to select the colour space? Could it be a different one at that point. Not sure about that version of Photoshop but it seems to be colour space related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

that happened to me when I started playing with PS RAW, it would convert all the pic's I opened and viewed to a different color space, it would look fine on my pc, but would look slightly off on other pc's. I just had to set the RAW to use the correct format and it sorted it all. I think there is a option to set the color space when saving as a JPG as well.
    Check out this thread is this the same ?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54248639&posted=1#post54248639

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭countryjimbo

Thanks for all your help, I didn't realise that you had to embed a colour profile in images for the web.
    Some image viewing applications are non-profile aware (including Internet Explorer) and these assume all images are in sRGB. As I wasn't embeding a colour profile and had worked under a different profile they were displaying differently. All my images had "Color Space" = Uncalibrated in the properties on flickr.

To embed a colour profile I went to Edit, Convert to Profile and selected "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" before saving the image as a JPG. There may be other options that'll work too but I didn't experiement any further as this fixed my problem. The Color Space now says sRGB on flickr

Its possible to set this profile as the default for CS2 but Adobe RGB is recommended as its got a wider range of colours and prints better.

Here's a before and after (click for larger versions):

1605117015_c382dee187_m.jpg

1677827753_b5d4e478aa_m.jpg

The difference is more noticable on the larger versions.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement