Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera opposite Spa hotel

Options
  • 20-10-2007 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got flashed by the speed camera opposite the Spa hotel. I guess that means I will get a letter in the post.
    the funny thing is, I checked my speed as I entered the 80km zone, and just before the camera too. I could swear I was under the speed limit.
    Really strange, the guy ahead of me got flashed too.
    I rang the guards in Lucan to complain, as the thing is out of calibration. They told me to ring the traffic corp.

Has anyone else had a problem with this??

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Could it have being two flashes for the car in front? maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

How fast was the car in front of you going? Were they pulling away from you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

If the guy in front of you was close enough to you he'll get the ticket , Hence the white markings on the road to determine the faster car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Hi,
    Just got flashed by the speed camera opposite the Spa hotel. I guess that means I will get a letter in the post.
    the funny thing is, I checked my speed as I entered the 80km zone, and just before the camera too. I could swear I was under the speed limit.
    Really strange, the guy ahead of me got flashed too.
    I rang the guards in Lucan to complain, as the thing is out of calibration. They told me to ring the traffic corp.

Has anyone else had a problem with this??

YUp it's happened to me twice; the first time I thought maybe my own speed was a it out - it was reading 75kph. However, the second time, I was doing 60kph and got a flash. If I get a ticket then I will be pretty pissed off. The zone is marked for 80kph and I had set the speed limiter set to 80kph for that stretch at the time (won't allow you to go beyond 80kph, not cruise control).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

kikel wrote: »
    Could it have being two flashes for the car in front? maybe

yes i think its two flashes for every offender though not 100% on this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yes it's two flashes, I've seen a solitary car go through and get the double flash, they are pretty close together though.

It hasn't happened me, but Ive heard that if you do get flashed there they send out both pics with the letter, it should be possible to work out the speed from the distance and time stamps so if you weren't speeding you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

hiscan wrote: »
    yes i think its two flashes for every offender though not 100% on this

Yeah I was thinking that then - when I went through those two times it was only one flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Its definitely two flashes per speeder; the white lines are used to calculate the speed in case of a dispute. I pass through there every (working) day - usually at exactly 80km/h according to speedo; never been flashed. I have seen others get a double flash though.
    Watch out for the green or white Gatso vans in that area too - any where between the Leixlip onslip & Liffey Valley - see that quite a bit in the last month or so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cjt156 wrote: »
    Its definitely two flashes per speeder; the white lines are used to calculate the speed in case of a dispute. I pass through there every (working) day - usually at exactly 80km/h according to speedo; never been flashed. I have seen others get a double flash though.
    Watch out for the green or white Gatso vans in that area too - any where between the Leixlip onslip & Liffey Valley - see that quite a bit in the last month or so.
    I agree totally. I pass it every day and haven't yet seen it flash for someone who wasn't ~20+km/h over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Well, for sure the guy in front of me could only have been doing a few KM over the limit, so he wasn't visbly pulling away at all.
    Yeah, there were 2 flashes, not 4, so MAYBE just the guy in front.

I think they may have mistakenly set it to 60kmh not 80. I actually thought they maybe had changed the limit, but the guards in Lucan told me it's 80 allright. I don't usually drive that area, but have passed the same camera hundreds of times without a problem, it's the best known camera in Dublin.

yeah I have seen the green van rammed up in the ditch - looks like it's crashed or broken down! Blended in nicely with the foliage...!

I might try again to get through to traffic corp, see if they can shed some light on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

That gatso was in a nice hiding spot on Saturday. Just after the fixed camera, and before the Newcastle junction. I'd say he had rich enough pickings there with peopl accelerating slightly after the fixed one. (god knows i do it myself from time to time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Definately 2 flashes for each car!

the difference in distance between the car in the 2 pictures is thown into a formula which calculates wht speed you were going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Pete4779 wrote: »
    I had set the speed limiter set to 80kph for that stretch at the time (won't allow you to go beyond 80kph, not cruise control).

Nice! What type of car you got Pete?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

HAHAHAHA. OP: you may be waiting a long time. Whilst waiting for a bus near the Spa, I've seen that thing flash when there's no cars nearby.

And two thirds of the time, seemingly it's just not there:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the_syco wrote: »
    The box is not there or the camera inside it? The box is always there and as for the camera - it may not be there for 2/3 of the time but which 2/3s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

AFAIK sometimes the camera is in the box and working fine but has either ran out of film or just has no film in it at all. So you may get that tell tale flash in the rear view but never get the letter through the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kbannon wrote: »
    The box is not there or the camera inside it? The box is always there and as for the camera - it may not be there for 2/3 of the time but which 2/3s?
    Sometimes it's not there. The camera is used in different places, and or course, you're never told when.

Just spoke to traffic guys, they said the 2 flashes are used, and if 2 cars are in the picture it's used to determine which was speeding.
    He told me the speed the camera is calibrated for and I am 100% sure the camera was "cycling" or got the guy in front, or maybe was out of calibration, though that's unlikely.

If anything arrives in the post I'll be sure to let ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

yea i got flashed at the spa yesterday n i slowed down and kept my eyes glued to the speedometer and i was doing 70-75kph and the thing flashed a double flash im certain it was a couplea kildare toerags in a silver peugot 206 coz they were jumpin around in their car laughin at me? but the're car was pullin up to me in the fast lane when it happend? so i held up two fingers and pointed at them and then i gave them the fingers. it was annoyin the way they assumed it was me who got caught! but now im gettin anxious because we both were in the same picture can speed cameras discern who was the culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

the_syco wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA. OP: you may be waiting a long time. Whilst waiting for a bus near the Spa, I've seen that thing flash when there's no cars nearby.

maybe it was a bee flyin past the camera?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

The guards are always out there from liffey valley to kilmainham
    thats why everyone sits on 80kms on that road - some parts of it drop to 60kms as well so i always keep my eyes pealed on the signs as i know the guards are fond of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

babi-hrse wrote: »
    yea i got flashed at the spa yesterday n i slowed down and kept my eyes glued to the speedometer and i was doing 70-75kph and the thing flashed a double flash im certain it was a couplea kildare toerags in a silver peugot 206 coz they were jumpin around in their car laughin at me? but the're car was pullin up to me in the fast lane when it happend? so i held up two fingers and pointed at them and then i gave them the fingers. it was annoyin the way they assumed it was me who got caught! but now im gettin anxious because we both were in the same picture can speed cameras discern who was the culprit?

How do you know they were from Kildare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

cazzy wrote: »
    How do you know they were from Kildare ?

Was thinking the same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

More than likely because the reg on the car was 0*KE****

Think about it like,it'd be common for someone to think that,especially as a Tourag is a new enough car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

im certain it was a couplea kildare toerags in a silver peugot 206 coz they were jumpin around in their car laughin at me?
    More than likely because the reg on the car was 0*KE****

Think about it like,it'd be common for someone to think that,especially as a Tourag is a new enough car!

And now I know why i'll never buy a VW Tourag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Anna23

I was coming from Enfield on saturday night and the camera flashed a car behind me, now I know it wasnt me as I was doing 80kph on cruise control, so no way was i going faster, I saw the flash go twice in the mirror, now I dont know if it was me or the car behind me, I defo know I wasnt speeding as I got caught once and I learned my lesson!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

GATSO van was in the ditch before the traffic lights westbound on Monday morning. Was going about 90-100 kph, such pissy rubbish putting them on such safe roads. Never seen an accident on that road myself. How can a dual-carriageway built so well have such a stupid limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

As has been said above. It takes 2 pictures for these reasons;
    1. If a driver is breaking the limit & disputes that fact they can tell the distance (using the white lines) travelled in the time between the 2 pictures.
    2. If 2 cars are in the pictures they can tell whether one or both were over the speed limit.

If you were doing 75km/h you've nothing to worry about, apart from Kildare-registered 206 occupants (scary, slack-jawed knuckle-draggers...)

My own personal hate is KE reg beemers they really seem to be the most arrogant bustards on the road! :)
    I vote for Touareg = Toerag, but how about Qashqai = Cashcow ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

maoleary wrote: »
    GATSO van was in the ditch before the traffic lights westbound on Monday morning. Was going about 90-100 kph, such pissy rubbish putting them on such safe roads. Never seen an accident on that road myself. How can a dual-carriageway built so well have such a stupid limit?

Theres been a few deaths on that road over the years, although I think they happened at the crossovers in the carriageway (at foxhunter, since closed and at the spa). So statistically its one of the most dangerous streaches of roads in the country. Crossovers in the centre of a dual carriageway are stupid and unnessisary on this road.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/revealed-the-roads-targeted-for-blitz-on-speed-73735.html
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055004097
    Also on the list is the N4 dual-carriageway at Lucan from the Palmerstown bypass where there were five fatalities, 13 serious injuries and 70 minor injuries.

Advertisement