Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Bends at Newtown Tramore

• 20-10-2007 1:05am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Great to see something finally being done about the dangerous bends on the road to Newtown Cove. There has been a number of bad accidents - and some fatal - there, and the town council seem to "talk" but not act. Until today, where warning signs have been errected along the path to the worst of the bends. The latest accident was last week I think, where a BMW went straight over the cliff. All 4 occupants literally walked away unharmed. Pure luck!

Now all they need to do is make it safer for walkers, and reduce the speed limit!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yeah I heard they walked up to Spar to get an ambulance, don't know how they walked away from that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I dunno about most of ye, but I don't personally call signs that say "slow down" and "dangerous (word painted over) ahead" progress! It needs a hell of a lot more than that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minto wrote: »
    I dunno about most of ye, but I don't personally call signs that say "slow down" and "dangerous (word painted over) ahead" progress! It needs a hell of a lot more than that!

Its better then nothing, so it counts as progress. There is signs in advance of the bend, then those yellow/back bend ones directly on the dangerous spots. There is a lot more that needs to be done, but at least there is plenty of warnings for people thinking the road is fine if your going fast!

Most of the recent incidents have not been locals. If I recall correctly

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well as of yesterday they have put the usual road markings from Spar out newtown. What supprised me is the addition of the yellow line, which I dont think iv ever spotted on that stretch of road.

Also they have printed the usual "SLOW" letters on approaching the bend.

Think that and the signs may have some affect tbh. Maybe an awl speed camera wouldnt go astray - since its a black spot? Next on line should be reducing the speed limit out that direction - maybe even put in a ramp.

Was reading the News & Star there, I see there now planning on errecting a fense within a few weeks (probably months). They wont put down a ramp as Emergeny Serivces dont like them. After that, they will monitor the situation and consider other traffic calming meassures if required.

They put down those "cats eyes" (aka as studes I think) from spar out towards the cove. At least it lights up the road a lot better.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Also they have printed the usual "SLOW" letters on approaching the bend.

Now, in fairness, it does say "VERY SLOW", lol! If that doesn't slow people down, nothing will:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

surely people can use their own judgment and slow the hell down for their own benefit. Yes roads need to be improved but once again this is an example of drivers not being responsible and adjusting their driving accordingly.
    We hear of deaths on the roads every weekend, surely that is a lesson it itself, slow down and you are less likely to be involved in a crash.

hmm, a BMW speeding...never! Just as well they were in a well built car, that probably saved them..for now.

To be fair Forrest, I dont think any locals were part of accidents. Its just people from out of town who wouldnt spot the bend until its to late. The speed limit out there is 80km/hr (at least, on part of the stretch).

I think the idea of the warning signs all over the place, printed lines and cats eyes has made a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

They should put up a divide barrier like the one on the outer ring road. Would take a day to do. So what if it cost money. If it saves 1 life, it would be priceless

A divider wont make a difference.. there going over the cliff coming from spar and rarley from the Cove side..

Unless your suggesting putting it on the path?

• Advertisement

They seem to be doing something with the corner. I was out there earlier and it looks as if there is some work being done.

Removing the ditch and replacing it with a fence. Im just assuming that the fence there at the moment is temp while they build a new and proper one.. We can only hope!

There is no way in Hell that they are gonna leave those construction fences there permanently. They'll prob leave it as long as possible and maybe til there is another accident (God forbid), but there will be something proper there...eventually).

Minto wrote: »
    There is no way in Hell that they are gonna leave those construction fences there permanently. They'll prob leave it as long as possible and maybe til there is another accident (God forbid), but there will be something proper there...eventually).

Sounds about right...

Advertisement