Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent removable tattoo ink

Options
  • 20-10-2007 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

http://www.bodymod.org/articles/show-articles~AID~147.htm

The ink that is easily removed after a laser treatment as a polymer in the ink is broken down and the ink gradually fades away.

does anyone in Ireland use this ink? is it even out yet?

I want to get some tats done in it, i want to get a full sleeve with no blank spaces, but it will be done over a while and maybe by a few different tattoo artists. I would love for them to be able to edit the edges of each piece to make them sit together better if needed, maybe it wouldnt be needed, but the option would be nice.....

also, :D dont preach to me about how i should only get one if i want it for life.. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

A PERMANENT tattoo that is far easier to remove than its stubborn predecessors is set to be launched next year.

that's from teh first line of the article you just posted yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I'm not going to preach about tattoos should be for life (and not just for Christmas lololol... sorry), but if you're looking to get an entire sleeve done with an ink that is by and large untested, and people have no idea how it'll look over time, how well or how badly it'll fade... hell, for all that's known about it so far, whose to say it won't turn bright pink and make your arm explode at the 50 year mark? if you're going for something like a sleeve, which is permanent anyway, you'd be better off going with the normal ink so you KNOW what it'll look like in 10, 20, 30 years. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

laser treatment is costly and often leaves scarring and discolouration of the skin. plus, your plan assumes that each artist who works on you has access to a laser to "edit" with, and that the removal is very accurate and consistant.

That's like building a house in small, fast bursts, with different architects, and keeping a bulldoser out the back garden as insurance.

how about you just plan it properly, and choose an artist carefully?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

But now American company Freedom-2 has announced they plan to introduce a new range of dyes that are gentle on the body and easy to remove, the New Scientist reports.

The compounds in the dye have already been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for use in cosmetics, food, drugs and medical devices.

The pigments in the new dyes are rapidly absorbed into the body and any new tattoo would fade and be lost soon after they were injected.

Dyes

To get round this scientists will cover the dyes in tiny polymer beads.

There is no way in hell I would go near this, the dyes have been tested but they are in polymer beads. Having had bad reactions to plastic jewellery I dont fancy having it embeded under my skin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

j0e wrote: »
    There is no way in hell I would go near this, the dyes have been tested but they are in polymer beads. Having had bad reactions to plastic jewellery I dont fancy having it embeded under my skin
    The UV ink I have in my arm is also in a polymer bead system so I'd probably be ok with it being there, however the laser break down of polymers bit would bother me I can see that generating carcinogens which will then seep into the bloodstream. I hope they did a check as to what compounds could possibly form and what their effect is upon the body.

*has tattoo removed by laser
    "Oops, now you have cancer, but at least your tattoo is gone."

Would be a bit of a daft scenario would it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

j0e wrote: »

The technique was invented for the delivery of medecine. Reactions would be on the rare side.

http://www.tattooblog.org/entry/removable-permanent-tattoo-ink-coming-this-fall/
    hot2def wrote: »
    laser treatment is costly and often leaves scarring and discolouration of the skin. plus, your plan assumes that each artist who works on you has access to a laser to "edit" with, and that the removal is very accurate and consistant.

That's like building a house in small, fast bursts, with different architects, and keeping a bulldoser out the back garden as insurance.

how about you just plan it properly, and choose an artist carefully?

Its not like that at all, Its like building a house, a guest house, and an extension all from different architects to compliment each other, while building it out of stone instead of having it reinforced concrete.

Just like you might want to knock down a wall in your house, to build a better extension, and knocking down a brick wall would be easier than a reinforced concrete wall.

also i wouldnt mind having a 3rd party delete the parts.

About scars, and discoloration, thats something i am aware of, but it is something i see as minimal as i dont intend to have whole tattoo removed.

farohar wrote: »
    The UV ink I have in my arm is also in a polymer bead system so I'd probably be ok with it being there, however the laser break down of polymers bit would bother me I can see that generating carcinogens which will then seep into the bloodstream. I hope they did a check as to what compounds could possibly form and what their effect is upon the body.

*has tattoo removed by laser
    "Oops, now you have cancer, but at least your tattoo is gone."

Would be a bit of a daft scenario would it not?

If the UV ink you have is safe, then removing the polymer with one laser treatment should not pose a cancer risk. Some of the early UV inks or the early glow in the dark inks might present such a risk.

The polymer is broken down, it is no longer in your body, and the ink naturally expelled. These inks have been tested, but i wouldnt know about the UV ink in your tat, i would think you should keep it just incase :p

--

I just want to clarify that the idea of having a few tattoo artists do a full sleeve is more appealing to me than having one artist do the whole sleeve for me.

Being able to edit the edges would be ideal instead of coming up with a fixed design each one had to adhere to, I would rather they added their individual flair to each segment.

I spose i will try and plan it out as best i can.. or get one person to do it all :(

If the UV ink you have is safe, then removing the polymer with one laser treatment should not pose a cancer risk. Some of the early UV inks or the early glow in the dark inks might present such a risk.

The polymer is broken down, it is no longer in your body, and the ink naturally expelled. These inks have been tested, but i wouldnt know about the UV ink in your tat, i would think you should keep it just incase :p

The UV ink is only safe because it remains in the polymers, the UV ink within the beads has no interaction with the body, only the beads. What I was saying is that the breaking down of these beads via lasers could possibly produce carcinogens, this would equally apply were I to try get my UV tattoo lasered out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

so you are going to go in for a consultation, the next tattooist will mark what lines are to be "edited", and off you toddle? Does that seem like a likely scenario? Further, that still assumes a HIGH level of accuracy....

hot2def wrote: »

so you are going to go in for a consultation, the next tattooist will mark what lines are to be "edited", and off you toddle? Does that seem like a likely scenario? Further, that still assumes a HIGH level of accuracy....

Yeah it does seem like a likely scenario, would a tattoo artist refuse to do that?

But it is the reason i asked the question, to see if anyone used it, to see if any artist would even be open to the idea, and indeed if it would be accurate enough.

farohar wrote: »
    The UV ink is only safe because it remains in the polymers, the UV ink within the beads has no interaction with the body, only the beads. What I was saying is that the breaking down of these beads via lasers could possibly produce carcinogens, this would equally apply were I to try get my UV tattoo lasered out.

I just read up on UV ink and the UV ink you used probably uses the exact same polymer, PMMA, Its completely safe to be broken down by the laser treatment and no carcinogens are released.

On further reading i found out that the dyes used in UV can be ''totally organic and biocompatible, non-carcinogenic, and MRI safe''

If you went to have yours removed, The first laser treatment would break down the polymer and you would be left with a normal tattoo, the glow would weaken significantly though. You would then have to go to get more treatments to fully remove the now normal tattoo.

All in all, the UV ink you have is probably the safe one, and not one of the dangerous ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Eire_Tattoo

If you are lucky enough to have an arm free of tattoos. Get a planned sleeve. This will be much better than an unplanned and edited?? sleeve. Laser is very expensive and sleeves are very expensive so at least do it right.
    If you want something that can be removed you should probably not be considering a tattoo of any type, removable or not. A removable tattoo might be handy for a small hidden design, incase of problems removing it, but it is not for a sleeve until they are around and tested for a long time.

• Advertisement

If you are lucky enough to have an arm free of tattoos. Get a planned sleeve. This will be much better than an unplanned and edited?? sleeve. Laser is very expensive and sleeves are very expensive so at least do it right.
    If you want something that can be removed you should probably not be considering a tattoo of any type, removable or not. A removable tattoo might be handy for a small hidden design, incase of problems removing it, but it is not for a sleeve until they are around and tested for a long time.

I planned out the tattoo, but then i read about this ink and it gave me some ideas that maybe i didnt have to plan it so much and could allow different artists to do their thing. Not what the ink is intended for, but an idea i got stuck in my head.

as for getting a removable tattoo for the sake of it being removable, well i cant see any good reason for that, unless you were the artists first customer :D

I just read up on UV ink and the UV ink you used probably uses the exact same polymer, PMMA, Its completely safe to be broken down by the laser treatment and no carcinogens are released.
    I know it uses the same polymer but as regards safety of breaking it down via laser:
    PMMA MSDS wrote:
    Hazardous decomposition products: methyl methacrylate and carbon monoxide depending on
    condition of heating and burning.
    You absolutely 100% certain on that?
    At least from the MSDS on methyl methacrylate it isn't currently a known carcinogen, just an irritant and corrosive, so shouldn't give you cancer, it'll just wreck the skin in that area, which the laser will be doing anyway. (strong enough to break the Carbon to Carbon bonds in PMMA you can bet it'll do the same to the carbon-carbon bonds in your body tissue)

Reading that alone I think you might really want to be careful of getting your hopes up about this being an easy edit solution, odds are the edited areas won't look so good, both in terms of inking and actual skin condition, and then there's the issue that inks fade over time (good news is that I'm not sure but the PMMA made slow/prevent this fading) as such you can't just get one area re-done and expect it to look right as the newer ink will be a different shade to the older.
    Then there's the scaring left by the process of getting a tattoo which will still be visible and may also affect the appearance after editing.

Reading further on PMMA and the use of lasers for cosmetic surgery, PMMA only strongly absorbs above 2800nm or below 300nm (UV) so if they are going to be precise about what they ablate they'll probably go for the UV end of things so my guess, from the laser types listed for use in cosmetic surgery, would be a frequency quadrupled diode pumped solid state laser, e.g. Nd:YAG in this set up would give 266nm, the far end of the UV spectrum (UVC).*
    Not sure if there are any crystals you can use to increase the wavelength of an Infra-red laser (tend to be in the 800-1500nm range) further so it could be used on the PMMA anyway. If they try use anything in the 300nm - 2800nm there's good odds they'll do more damage to your tissue (both sides of the tattoo) than the tattoo.

*UVB stops at 320nm so it'll probably be UVC you'll get exposed to anyway.

Long story short, make sure to thoroughly investigate both the ink and the available places to get the removal done as well as finding out from the ink suppliers their recommendations for what laser to ablate the PMMA with (if they have none drop the entire idea they haven't a clue what they are at) and don't get your hopes too high as regards how it might look after editing.

Advertisement