Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any dance cats in here doing big-hop aggressive progressive?

Options
  • 20-10-2007 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Yeah, I agree, the thread title is a bit vague. :D

Just wondering if theres any Irish people doing cutting edge, forward thinking dance music. I'm thinking along the lines of Ed Banger records, or even further into the "trendsphere" :p

Im pretty ********* off with *** *** dance music, but really feeling the really fresh new stuff.

I was thinking of the chances of organising some sort of collective, maybe a netlabel. I dunno. Ill have to give it more thought.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i'm gonna be finished my EP pretty soon. Would love to do a netlabel thingamagoo. Sure I'll probably talk to you over on aldj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

womoma wrote: »

Just wondering if theres any Irish people doing cutting edge, forward thinking dance music. I'm thinking along the lines of Ed Banger records, or even further into the "trendsphere" :p

Im pretty ********* off with *** *** dance music, but really feeling the really fresh new stuff.

I was thinking of the chances of organising some sort of collective, maybe a netlabel. I dunno. Ill have to give it more thought.

Cheers.

Your new track is cool (big split), don't like the twang twang(bass slap???) in it though, the rest is class - good stuff man! Very like Yoshotoshi!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

cheers empirix. Any thoughts on a netlabel or Irish collective etc?

jtsuited what is your login name on ALDJ? Its probably same as here. I have such a crap memory. I'd probably prefer to discuss it here as its more an Irish thing than an Ableton thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Cheers.

There's a dude called "Chymera" from Cork who has some very decent stuff going for him - his tune "Arabesque" was Luciano's closing track in Tripod last Friday. Check him out on myspace; tune was also featured on that Sander Kleinenberg mix album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Yeah i would be interested in setting something up, although my stuff wouldn't cut it as of yet, have a few tunes almost finished - very synth orientated though, couldnt be as bad as my first two tunes. Anyway, i would be up for getting involved/help out in anything electronica

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Bren_M.Records

Sounds like a good idea Womoma, but as you said yourself it is something that needs to be thought through properly.
    If I can help let me know, though I'll admit straight off that I dont have any experience as such in the "dance" world but it is my favourite type of music so Id love to get involved in some shape or form. :)

Chuffed anyone replied to the thread.

Im not even sure what I was suggesting to be honest, but I sometimes wish Ireland could stand out a bit more in the world of Electronic Dance Music, especially in an exciting refreshing kind of way.

I love dance music that sounds fresh, up to date, different, and dare I say it, "trendy" (for want of a better word!)

Funnily enough, I still haven't really found my own sound, or at least, it changes often. Recently I've gone from harsh electro to funny-chord dub and dnb, I sh1t you not :p
    it is something that needs to be thought through properly.

Deffo. Brain storming anyone? :D

Bren what kinda stuff do you do / are you into? You run a label of some sort?

Jimi cheers for the Chymera suggestion. I'll definatly check him out.

If anyone has any ideas, lets hear em!

I'm not big into the words "colelctive" and "scene", kinda makes things sound exclusive and clicky.

I guess I'd rather something thats about like-minded Irish EDM lovers bringing something new to the table. Maybe a net-label would be an idea, though Im not sure how exactly you would keep the quality high without excluding and disappointing some people.

The way I invisage the net-label would be that it is orientated towards cool new styles, and a certain amount of "cross-pollination" would happen between artists and other labels, allowing the cream to rise to the top, and potentially giving some great exposure to some artists who may hopefully get signed to a "real" label.

I suppose down the line a club night of some sort would be another interesting option.

I love the idea of a handfull of Irish artists remixing each other.

Anyway, Im just shooting off the hip here, I really haven't given it much thought, but Im glad a few people like the idea of doing something...

Deffo. Brain storming anyone? :D

Bren what kinda stuff do you do / are you into? You run a label of some sort?

The mods might remove this but heres my label web address http://www.myspace.com/manazorecords
    Though I use the term "label" in the very loosest sense of the word you can possibly imagen! :D

I'm not big into the words "colelctive" and "scene", kinda makes things sound exclusive and clicky.

Agreed, not my kinda thing either, if its about being "clicky" for want of a better word count me out now.
    I guess I'd rather something thats about like-minded Irish EDM lovers bringing something new to the table. Maybe a net-label would be an idea, though Im not sure how exactly you would keep the quality high without excluding and disappointing some people.

The nature of the beast Im afraid.
    If you dont keep the standard really high the profile of the "label" will suffer and in the long run that means that everyone connected with said label suffers.
    Some people arent meant to be "producers/performers" or whatever you want to call it but that doesn mean they cant be included.
    Maybe their skill is website design, artwork for posters flyers etc. or a multitude of other things such as helping to running a night for example.
    Just because they cant cut it musically doesnt mean that havnt something to offer.
    Least thats my opinion for what its worth. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jtsuited what is your login name on ALDJ? Its probably same as here. I have such a crap memory. I'd probably prefer to discuss it here as its more an Irish thing than an Ableton thing.

i'm jefftimoney over on aldj. I presume you are condra?

Yeppers Im Condra.

Bren, just checked out your myspace page. Cool stuff.

• Advertisement

Iv sent you a reply through pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

forward thinking dance music.... Ed Banger records

ah here

seriously man

ed banger is complete nonsense with the exception of oizo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Guys, if I wasn't so notorious for bailing out of these things I'd jump in right now. As it stands I have other non-music commitments. But I'd love to jump in a little bit down the line, would be cool to be involved some sort of Irish electronic music collaborative.

Any thoughts on a netlabel or Irish collective etc?

id be up for that

retired from the "dance music" thing in august, working mainly on other stuff

but im always up for exploring nonsensical electronic noise

also just to add my output is less than prolific of late, with a whopping 1 original track completed in 2007

Chuffed you guys are interested in the idea.

Helix I love Oizo, but personally I dont think everything else on EB is nonsense. :p By the way, are you H3lx?

i am yeah

have to say i violently despise everything on EB with the exception of oizo. i cant put into words how bad i think it is. the worst part is that most of it is nothing but a second rate shoddy knockoff of oizo anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

jus checked out that chymera dudes stuff on htfr...nice tunes

Advertisement