Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Van der Graaf Generator

• 20-10-2007 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

One of those bands I've heard of for years but never got around to hearing until now, thanks to lastfm
    Check out this fantastic track from 1970

This is typical of the quality but only hints at the variety of their music. I think they may be one of those great missing link bands, this track is like a bridge between Soft Machine and Roxy Music, others sound like King Crimson jamming with the Floyd but always there are the unique VDGG elements
    This brilliant freak out was John Peels theme tune at one stage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Not too familiar with VDG, the song "Firebrand" on their website is worth checking out though.

Can anyone on these boards say they've jammed with a former member? I know I can. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Undergod wrote: »
    Can anyone on these boards say they've jammed with a former member? I know I can. :D
    That is soooo :cool: Who? How? Where? Why? When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

here is a band I've over looked for a long time, mainly because I had heard some of Peter Hamills solo stuff which didnt real do it for me . However I heard ' A Plague of lighthouse keepers' on Stuart MacConie's Freak zone and had to get it. So I bought Pawn hearts which is a revelation, its not very accesible and quite miserable but a great album for the adventurous. Looking forward to hearing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

MoominPapa wrote: »
    That is soooo :cool: Who? How? Where? Why? When?

David Jackson, the guy playing saxophone in the second vid there. He does a lot of work with special needs education, and a few years ago he was doing a project in the school my mam works in, and so I went up and met him and jammed with him. Was pretty cool.

Here's the VDG song I mentioned above.

http://www.vandergraafgenerator.co.uk/mp3/firebrand.mp3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

They're an amazing band. I recomend "H To He Who Am The Only One", particularly the song House With No Door.

Pawn Hearts is very good too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement