Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with solution to years old problem

• 20-10-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

This has been bugging me for about 3 years and I have finally decided to do something about it. I gave up TV about 3 years ago but I still watch tonnes of DVDs and the odd video(hardly at all these days). As I am sure your all aware, the fact that I don't watch TV doesn't exempt me from needing a tv licence(grrrrr) so I am paying 158euro a year just to have a tv in the house without ever watching anything I havent already paid for in a dvd shop.
    I am condidering getting a Projector but with replacement bulbs and energy usage I think that's a false economy so the fifty million dollar question is:
    What can I purchase (600-1000euro) that will allow me to watch all my DVDs on a decent size screen but does not need a licence?
    Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

A large LCD computer monitor.:D - no tuner, no licence.
    You can get plasmas without tuners btw. I've seen ones from NEC, Fujitsu and Pioneer.

On the licence front, I've wondered if it was possible to somehow block the frequencies that the RTE channels were on, and if so, would this legally allow you not to have to have a TV licence. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I think the license covers radio too so even if you had a small radio, and MP3 player with FM or even a mobile phone capable of picking up an FM signal you'd have to have a license.

I have to say I don't think designing a system around not needing a TV license is the best approach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Thanks for that. I'm going looking at LCD monitors so. By the way Slaphead, I will check but when I spoke to the licence guy on the phone and explained the situation he never mentioned radio so I don't think you need one for your radio,just TV.
    Anyway, they're sending me a declaration that I fill out and send back and apparently that will be it. If they come round they can look at my computer monitor and then f**k off.

By the way Slaphead, I will check but when I spoke to the licence guy on the phone and explained the situation he never mentioned radio so I don't think you need one for your radio,just TV.
    Certainly originally it was a radio licence (or simply the ability to pick up a signal) and I'm pretty sure it was that way up until relatively recently but it might have been updated in recent years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Recieved my declaration today and I only have to specify that there is no TV/TV aerial or NTL connection in my home to be exempt from the TV licence. No mention of radio on the form anywhere so I guess the TV licence is just for TV.
    But they are such pr**ks. The form states that it is an offence if I don't send it back within 14 days! WTF? Is this just another case of the licence folk going out of their way to get up your nose? Why even state that? If I don't send it back in fourteen days send me a bill for a licence. What are you gonna prosecute me for? Procrastination? Tell you what, why not prosecute me the next time I forget to put the bin out and have to put two out the following week. Grrrrrrrr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A large LCD computer monitor.:D - no tuner, no licence.
    You can get plasmas without tuners btw. I've seen ones from NEC, Fujitsu and Pioneer.

On the licence front, I've wondered if it was possible to somehow block the frequencies that the RTE channels were on, and if so, would this legally allow you not to have to have a TV licence. Anyone?

Any TV, even Albanian via Dish.

Web counts as TV if you watch it live TV that is also broadcast.

Radio licences abolished long ago except for Transmitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Oshbosh

the license is for any equipment which can pick up a tv signal be that a TV or a PC or a hand held tv etc, there was some dicussion about needing one for mobile phones which receive TV but not sure where that ended up,

But they are such pr**ks. The form states that it is an offence if I don't send it back within 14 days! WTF? Is this just another case of the licence folk going out of their way to get up your nose? Why even state that? If I don't send it back in fourteen days send me a bill for a licence. What are you gonna prosecute me for? Procrastination? Tell you what, why not prosecute me the next time I forget to put the bin out and have to put two out the following week. Grrrrrrrr...

The "license folk" don't come up with that stuff, it's legislation therefore it was the Minister of the day who instigated it.
    I agree they are a shower of muppets though... they kept sending reminders to a house I was renovating - essentially a building site! When I tried to ring them I kept getting an answering machine telling me the hours they were open - and I was ringing during those hours! Even after I got though to them and explained they said they'd just keep sending them anyway and to ignore them. WTF indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Hey Shame Squire, let me know if those guys come around to check your gaff for a tv. Im in the same pos, I bought a cheap assed tv a couple of yrs ago in power city, and lost the remote. The remote was the only way to tune in or change the channels, even the universals dont work. All I want if for is playing my xbox(when you plug in the scart it changes to that channel automatically). However I thgink if the tv inspector came around to view this he would be fairly suspicous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

i know people that have a tv but only use it to watch dvds.they dont have to pay for a tv license because the got a pliers and broke the tuner on the back of the tv.when they moved house recently and tv inspector came around they showed it to him and it is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Is the TV inspector allowed to go inside your house and look around without a warrant? And, if you had a dish on your roof that was not working, would you still be required to risk your life climbing up to take it down? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    i know people that have a tv but only use it to watch dvds.they dont have to pay for a tv license because the got a pliers and broke the tuner on the back of the tv.when they moved house recently and tv inspector came around they showed it to him and it is ok.

Excellent, good idea, if a tad extreme. All I really want is to watch downloaded internet tv and play games on it, but sure Id rather wreak the viewing capability of a tv than give uncle bertie 160 squid for the absoloute muck there spiewing out on the tv these days. I mean if we had the quality of bbc programming I would have no objection to paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭floydmoon1

shouldnt matter if you have a dish on your roof.what you pay your tv license for is having a tuner on your tv or pc.

Advertisement