Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Camshaft senor

Options
  • 20-10-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Got the timing belt changed in my ford puma recently.the car seems to be cutting out when changed backed to first gear unless I press the accellerator that little be extra.
    returned car to garage and was told that a camshaft sensor fault showed up on the computer.
    would this fault have anything to do with the timing belt being changed.

camshaft sensor costs 24 euro
    labour 80euro if i get it done

any advice or information on above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How recently was the cam belt changed? how soon after that did this behavior start?

It looks like they are charging you an hours labor for changing the sensor, although in reality it's probably only a few mins work... the cam sensor is cheap, would you give it a go yourself? doesn't anyone else on boards know how tricky these are to fit? i've changed a few but never on a ford...

IMO if the garage changed the timing belt, and this sensor started to play up a few days later, they should of offered to change it, with possibly you paying the €24 for the part, purely out of good will, as I'm sure they made their money on the timing belt...

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭B1977

It happened when I collected the car.I was wondering can the sensor fault be linked to the changing of the timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

B1977 wrote: »
    It happened when I collected the car.I was wondering can the sensor fault be linked to the changing of the timing belt

If it was running ok before the belt change and not after then it is unlikely the fault is not connected to the belt change.

The fault code that was read as being a cam sensor fault could be a fault for the cam sensor being out of phase. If so, then this would be caused by the cam timing being slightly out. If this is the case then then fitting a new sensor wil not cure it.

It is possible the cam sensor is faulty, but it is a it of a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I dont think it should be affected but Im not 100% sure about your model. I had my cam sensor replaced last week on my E36. The engine felt like it was 50% down on power and when you popped the bonnet, you could hear an added ticking noise from the top of the engine.

Advertisement