Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Modifying diet due to IBS

• 20-10-2007 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Does anyone else here have IBS?

I was diagnosed with it recently and have had to change my diet to manage it.
    I've cut out pasta, most dairy and pulses.
    I'm also eating more rice, meat, veg.

Since changing I've felt a lot better, especially less bloating.

What do other people eat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Hey Pythia, I suffer with this too. In the beginning I tried exclusionism - cutting out parts of my diet for a time. I thought this was helpful at first but then the symptoms returned. Foods that seemed to be trigger foods turned out to not particularly be. For example, the pasta and dairy that you listed seem to cause me no trouble at all.

To cut a long story short, the only thing that prevents the symptoms of IBS in me is not eating.

To manage it, I take Fybogel fibre supplement. It is made of husk and is entirely natural and available in any chemist. If you are suffering diarrhoeia, it bulks up the stool and if you are constipated, it softens it. I also drink a lot of water. I have a very good diet now packed with fruit and vegetables and a range of high-fibre foods and it doesn't make any big difference.

However what I have learned is that very processed foods and many takeaway foods exacerbate the symptoms, so I avoid these not least for weight management but for a happy tummy and bowel too. :) Another thing that exacerbates the situation is over-eating, so small regular meals helps avoid cramps and any panic-visits to the loo.

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Hey,

I do take two prescription things to manage it too, which do seem to help also, something with mebeverine and a 'gastro resistant' thing too.
    I was taking Fybogel Mebeverine (non prescription) but it wasn't great. The prescription stuff seems to work better.

I was already drinking 2 litres of water before it all started, and generally eating healthily.

Yeah, eating really fast and over eating really didn't seem to help, I'm a fast eater anyway, trying to slow down.
    I do like take aways as a treat at the weekend, but the doctor said to keep away from pizza which I'm trying to do. It seems like anything yellow is out of the picture!

Alcohol is a major, major problem too which is annoying. I find Archers and Cranberry is ok, most other drinks make me sick after only a few. Did you have problems with that?

I've had all the tests (coeliac, Crohn's, ...) and 'oscopies, etc so unfortunately I've been left with this vague diagnosis which seems to be different from person to person.

Advertisement