Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

selling cars

Options
  • 20-10-2007 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi was just wondering if anyone is really buying second-hand cars. I've been trying to sell an '03 Renault megane coupe for the last month using the internet and magazines without even an enquiry on it. is it me or the car?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

It's the car :) - bit of a hairdressermobile so you've already lost a large part of the market. Renault have had a lot of reliability issues in the last few years also which won't help - how are you advertising it by the way (what sites and magazines) and for how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

The second hand market is tough at the moment for car dealers as well as private sellers. TBH a month isn't that long to have a car on the market - have a look at other Magane's, is yours competitively priced? You may have to drop your asking price.

One of the agreed reasons for this is the amount of money people have access to in Ireland at them moment with both the SSIA's maturing and the ease of borrowing. This is leading more & more people to buy new vehicles, and a lot of these new purchases involve used car trade-ins so there are a lot of used cars out there waiting to be sold. The second hand market is definitely a buyers market at the moment because of the amount of choice available.

Good Luck with the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

I sold a 2007 Audi S3 in a little over a week on Carzone.. it can be done!

Pictures are the big selling point, my car had over 1,000 views in that week or so.

Price is just as important obviously, you get a lot of dreamers on Carzone, you've got to be realistic.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eamon234 wrote: »
    It's the car :) - bit of a hairdressermobile so you've already lost a large part of the market.
    Have you seen the money TTs are making?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

OP Whats your price, where are your advertsing?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MarkN wrote: »
    I sold a 2007 Audi S3 in a little over a week on Carzone.. it can be done

Its a fairly specific car though. If someone is looking for one they are lookign for one. Theres a lot more choice in the standard car market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Adding a link here to your car will also help giving some pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

keefg wrote: »

The second hand market is definitely a buyers market at the moment because of the amount of choice available.

QUOTE]

Not sure I agree. Lots of cars but prices can be high and dealers seem to prefer to hang on than come down. Reckon they are gambling they will eventually meet a sucker.... I said SUCKER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Any Renault is hard work to sell tbh, I was offered a new shape 04 Megane with 54k miles, a clean car with loads of extras for 3.5k euros and I still wouldn't touch it with a barge poll tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

so i can take it that junkyard doesn't like Renaults:D:D
    here's a link to it in adverts.http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=35625&cat=2
    if it doesn't sell soon will sell it at trade price. sorry but need the money.:(:o:(:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're worth around 6500 in the trade at the moment.

What's the craic with having no NCT?

Try advertising it as a hatchback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

wex96 wrote: »
    so i can take it that junkyard doesn't like Renaults:D:D
    here's a link to it in adverts.http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=35625&cat=2
    if it doesn't sell soon will sell it at trade price. sorry but need the money.:(:o:(:o

The fact it doesnt have an NCT and needs one,will put some people off from even enquiring.
    No matter how good the car is.

it failed the first nct, garage has fixed it, missed retest waiting for new date. nct centre booked out till end nov.

change the wording in the ad about the NCT, "guarunteed to pass" means nothing to someone who has never seen the car and doesn't know you.

changed ad. thanks colm

maybe state what the car failed on and that it's now repaired.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I'd get the car NCT'd before trying to sell it TBH. Someone investing in an '03 car will want the NCT.

BTW that car is not a coupé. Also the 1.6 will stand against you, you might need to be patient with the sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

to shift that you need a NCT deffo, as mentioned, and you would be lucky to get in or around 6 grand, IMO, not what you want to hear but thats the way it is.

its not a very desirable car truth be told, even though it is a fine motor im sure, but get the nct and lower the price......!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I read here recently that if you ring the NCT after 4pm you've more chance of getting a cancellation. Also be prepared to travel a bit for the NCT, people will buy quicker with a new NCT then saying that the exhaust has been fixed. Whats to say that something else is causing the emissons fail*

*Just being devils advocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

have you tried booking the NCT thought the net, www.ncts.ie ?
    i phoned them up and they told me they had no free dates for 5 weeks, but i checked the site everyday and got a date within 2 weeks.

also you could try a different NCT center (not just the closed one) i went to one about 30miles away just to quicken up the process when selling my previous car.

As said, having no NCT is the reason no-one is looking at your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Del2005 wrote: »
    I read here recently that if you ring the NCT after 4pm you've more chance of getting a cancellation. Also be prepared to travel a bit for the NCT, people will buy quicker with a new NCT then saying that the exhaust has been fixed. Whats to say that something else is causing the emissons fail*

*Just being devils advocate.

They release cancellations back onto the online booking system every morning between 8.00am and 8.30am, you should be able to get one. I rang up last year to complain that it simply wasn't possible to book a retest within a month of the first test and the operator told me about the cancellations and sure enough it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Just to reitterate what's already been said.

NCT is a complete deal breaker. If you don't have it I wouldn't even mention it in the ad.

Also...you'd want to be completely mad in the head to pay 9 grand for a 4 (nearly 5) year old Megane with 54k on the clock!!!!!
    You're guilty of what most people selling their beloved motors do...overpricing yourself by a huge margin. Doesn't matter what other similar models are going for. You're a private sale with no warranty and the market is not good for second hand motors. And Renaults suck big time with relability issues...

Personally, I'd take it off the market...get your NCT and hack 2k off the asking. Spin the positives in the ad and get some interior pics. Renaults have nice interiors...don't expect people to know what they look like. Get another photo of the ass as well...people like that ass for some reason!! More pictures = better chance of selling!
    Spin the positives and the low low selling price and you'll shift it as a bargain. You'll probably sell this car to a woman so bear that in mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

CarLover wrote: »
    You'll probably sell this car to a woman so bear that in mind.

Ah, if selling it to women, don't drop the price, just stick "SALE - €9k, RRP €20k" on it and you'll have a queue of them wanting to buy it! :D And forget the feature list, just put "Silver car for sale, vanity mirror on sun visor, lots of storage space for make-up, comfy seats" etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Coolin wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/...

Any interest ??

Has who any interest?!! This is a thread about someone struggling to sell his Megane, and you stick up a link to a pimped up old beemer :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Any interest ??

It's a nice car and everything...but eh...wrong place for the ad :)

Any interest ??

AHHHH! God love 'em he's only new here.

Will take megane off tomorrow and get nct. hoping for last ditch buyer.:D:D:D
    thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Coolin's link removed and because I had to delete his post in this and other threads*, he is banned

Im currently giving platlets and trying to do this with one hand whilst a big feckin needle is stuck in the other isn't my idea of fun!

Advertisement