Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xp reinstall advice

• 20-10-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

hi, here's the situation, i've got an old computer lying around, it originally had 98 on it but we got it upgraded to xp a couplr of years ago. Its running really slowly and won't even connect to the internet anymore, i was thinking of wiping the hard drive and reinstalling xp, but then i realised i haven't got the cd, i've got the driver disk for 98, will this work if i reinstall xp?what are my options? any advice would be great. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

If you have a xp cd key just borrow a cd from a friend/family member. IF not you will have to buy a new copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Anti wrote: »
    If you have a xp cd key just borrow a cd from a friend/family member. IF not you will have to buy a new copy.

I have an xp cd that came with my laptop but it says it only to be used on dell computers. will that work on an acer? Can ya use them cd as many times as you like? Will the driver cd i have that i got with it originally whe it was 98 work on xp? sorry that was alot of questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

unless its a OEM cd then no. Im guessing its the Green cd?

Anti wrote: »
    unless its a OEM cd then no. Im guessing its the Green cd?

Its a blue cd, doesn't say anything about being an OEM cd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

use this to get your key
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

the disc will either work or not,
    it wont do any damage to try and boot from it

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    use this to get your key
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

the disc will either work or not,
    it wont do any damage to try and boot from it
    Cool thanks for that, i'll give it a go later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

When you say you haven't got the CD, do you mean the XP installation CD? If so, then you need to get an installation CD from somwhere.
    The Windows 98 driver CD will be of next to no use in the installation of XP.

The Dell XP installation CD will install XP on your PC, but if it is a non-Dell PC, then you will be required to activate XP after installation. When you ring microsoft to activate, you can quote the license key number you have.

XP SP2 will more than likely have all the necessary drivers you need to install your devices.

I have microsoft office on the pc at the moment, when i wipe the hd and reinstall xp, will i be able to use the same product key as i did the first time or should i make some sort of backup of it first?

Advertisement