Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Two Laptops Together with Netopia Wireless

• 20-10-2007 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

How do i set up so that i can connect two laptops together for the purposes of sharing some files.

I have a Netopia Wireless router. At the moment I have it set up so that both laptops can use the broadband coming from the wireless router.

What settings do I need to change in order that the two laptops can communicate wirelessly?

How can i ensure that one laptop can only see some parts - ie the shared folder and not access the other parts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You need to enable file sharing in windows... what version is it? Usually you just right click the folder you want to share and go to sharing and enable it. Then if they are in the same workgroup you can just go in to my network places and browse to them. Or go start - run and type:
    \\computername
    press ok
    and it will bring it up. Obviosuly computername is whatever the destination laptop is called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭culabula88

They are both running windows xp - one running xp home and the other xp pro.

Could you give me a step by step guide cause i am not too sure and have already managed to mess up the settings on the router twice.

Saruman wrote: »
    You need to enable file sharing in windows... what version is it? Usually you just right click the folder you want to share and go to sharing and enable it. Then if they are in the same workgroup you can just go in to my network places and browse to them. Or go start - run and type:
    \\computername
    press ok
    and it will bring it up. Obviosuly computername is whatever the destination laptop is called.

Any other way of bringing up the other laptop -?

OK if step by step is what you need then the best thing to do is run the Network wizard (my network places) on both computers. This will put them both on the same workgroup (mshome is default). Also will enable file sharing etc.
    To browse the network then, go to my network places - Entire network - microsoft windows network - then the workgroup mshome (assuming you left it at default). Go in there and both computers should be listed.

Make sure to dissable any internet security firewall crap you have installed if any as they can prevent network access.

used the flash drive to transfer the settings between one laptop and the other -

Do i need to change any settings on the router to enable file sharing?

Got this message back as well

"Depending on the wireless software running on this computer, the Wireless Network Setup Wizard might not work. For details, see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on Microsoft.com.)"

• Advertisement

No nothing usually needs to be changed on the router. Thats all you should need to do. Once you have shared files on each computer and they can both access the internet over the router then you should be set up.

Advertisement