Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - office?

• 20-10-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

I bought a new laptop a couple of weeks ago(with vista) and I only tried to open a Word document a few days ago for the first time, but it didn't recognise the file type.

I've since realised that I simply don't have any microsoft office applications on the laptop, so does Vista not come with Office as standard, or is my laptop just being belligerant?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

no micorosft operating system has ever come with office "as standard"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A lot of Vista machines come with office 2007 installed but its not registered so you get 22 uses before it locks down and you cant make new files etc. However its not as standard.
    Just download openoffice.org. Its free and is just as good.
    It can do most stuff office does, and only certain advanced office features do not work on openoffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

actaully, there is also a 60 day trial (not useage limited) available from micorsft
    http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.micromail.com/softSearch.aspx

full RRP of office 2007 pro is
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007 €629.20 inc VAT

Dell will do a basic laptop for that money , especially if can get free delivery and get a windows and works refund

if the word doc is .docx then it's the new 2007 format
    Microsoft do free viewers for word, powerpoint and excel but not for publisher or access
    IIRC OO now comes with a reader for .docx files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Best bet is OpenOffice. Free, does 95% of what Office does. Reads and writes all versions off MS Office

www.openoffice.org

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Thanks for the replies.

I thought Office came installed on all windows computers, guess I was wrong.
    I've downloaded openoffice though, it seems to do the job.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

You can also get an educational copy I think the site is www.software4students.ie

Some versions of office do not have all the programmes, some might be missing powerpoint or the database programme.

Advertisement