Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Converting Electric to Nitro

• 20-10-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭

I've got a HPI RS4 MT. It old enough now, and I haven't really used it much at all. Probalby less than a dozen times, mostly due to the fact that the battery lasts no time.

I was wondering how hard and expensive it would be to convert it to nitro. I think I'd need throttle servos and a few other bits aswell. I dont think I have the original extra's that came with the kit for the petrol option.

Would it be cheaper just to buy another nitro car(I dont really use this offroad, grass is the limit) rather than upgarde this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Definitely cheaper to sell the elec. on and buy a nitro buggy/truggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Rite so, any idea how much I should be looking for? Its 5 years old now, but in perfect condition. Only need and an antenna straw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Rite so, any idea how much I should be looking for? Its 5 years old now, but in perfect condition. Only need and an antenna straw.

Its not so much the fact of what to ask for. it is a case of finding a buyer really. Most people are like yoursef now and getting into nitro. Maybe someone would do a trade with you along with some cash?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I wonder if your problem is that you are trying to get a cheap electric with a cheap (comes free with the car) battery , and a bottom range leccie motor (value a tenner), to perform like a hot car.

If you tried to get a nitro car to go fast with fuel so lousy that the fuel was for free, and put in a nitro engine so old it was value under twenty, I guess your nitro car might also disppoint slightly.

So do you need a new car? ... maybe.....
    ... or do you prefer to be realistic and put in the better (eg ADEQUATE or better ) electrics you might have got with a more upmarket electric setup.

Just so you know, a top notch electric, costs more than a hot nitro car, it matches the nitro car in power, but far exceeds nitro in ease of use, non-tuning difficulties, and cost of maintenance.

I would think that a hot motor budget about fifty euros, and a decent battery like GP3300 or 3600s would multiply the cars performance by double or even more.
    If that is interesting, given that you already have this car....

You could put in 150 brushless and good battery and get better performance at a cost too, but the first 80 or 90 spent will produce the greatest percentage increase in performance. So I personally would not feel brushless is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Was just gonna suggest pretty much what coolwings said. If your main problem is the battery not lasting, why not just buy a couple of decent batteries?

• Advertisement

Thats an idea, a better battery would be far easier than changing everything, and I wouldn't have to worry about fuel etc. If I was to get a higher voltage battery and motor, would I have to get a new speed controller too? I currently have a JES 300 car controller and a 7.2v 1600mah battery.

Thats an idea, a better battery would be far easier than changing everything, and I wouldn't have to worry about fuel etc. If I was to get a higher voltage battery and motor, would I have to get a new speed controller too? I currently have a JES 300 car controller and a 7.2v 1600mah battery.

Better speed controllers give better performance as well.But that one should be fine to run a 27turn stock motor anyway and also would be fine for a better battery pack.

Brushless does seem to be good, but I'd need a new speed controller too - Expensive! I'm probably gonna order a new motor and battery online. Any recommendations on a motor?

Orion core 27turn stock is a pretty reliable motor with plenty of punch ;)

Advertisement