Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Architecture and Urban Planning

Options
  • 20-10-2007 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I am doing a project for an art exhibition in Galway about the changing face of Galway in terms of new developments and general planning for the region. I am looking for people to participate who have an interest in this area. The project would initially start out with a meeting to discuss the issues facing Galway at the moment and current concerns with the Ceannt Station etc. Is there anyone out there that might be interested or could put me in touch with a group who are active in this area?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Planning in galway is a joke, would'nt be suprised if there were a tribunal at some point in the future especially regarding geographical areas just outside the city boundary. Anyone remember the promise not to allow any more houses to be built on the seaward side of the Coast road to Spiddal?

An Taisce locally would have many people who would've pointed out the ugliness of Portmore, or the city plan contravention of the apartment block next to the presentation primary on the canal and Donegan Court or other monuments to developer greed that are around town

You could contact Michael D. Higgins TD
    or
    Galway City Council' Corporate Services and ask them for a list of lobby organisations and a copy of the Corporate Plan 2004-2009

No I don't want to be in your group ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

You could get in tough with art shool at GMIT and the art society at NUIG (artsoc@socs.nuigalway.ie) who might be able to help you out. If they don't want to get directly involved they would still be able to advertise for volunteers for you possibly.

Sounds interesting, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Planning in Galway is a joke, our planners seem to be scared of heights, i don't mean high-rise, but every building over 3-4 stories seems to attract objections from the same serial objectors and a mostly negative response from the planners. If we keep going the way we are, we'll end up with a 10 mile radius of semi detached sprawl around the City.
    A few land-mark buildings would improve Galway, and i am in favour of the proposed new Docks and Ceannt Station developments.
    Higher density is the only way a proper public transport system will ever be cost efficent, and the only way of securing proper open green areas between development areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Galway is a ****ing joke. There are no proper bicycle lanes save for a few brief ones on the extra wide footpaths.

The roads themselves are like Sierra Leone.

No-one appears to be in charge, or at the very least, taking responsibility.

Not just roads, and bikes, but water? Two water contaminations that lasted almost 6 months of the year?

But sure it'll be grand like. ****heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

spent a few days in Holland last week, my first proposal would be to force all Galway city and County Planners to spend a week there to see how it's done properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Planning in Galway seems just as un-predictable as in other counties.
    As for the roads, why do local councils leave the roads in such a state for so long. I mean we can all tolerate a few roadworks now-and-then but it seems Irish county councils want to test our patience and push it as far as possible!

The sooner magic-carpets are invented the better - we won't have to use the roads at all!

A clever person solves a problem.
    A wise person avoids it.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

michelleb1 wrote: »
    I am doing a project for an art exhibition in Galway about the changing face of Galway in terms of new developments and general planning for the region. I am looking for people to participate who have an interest in this area. The project would initially start out with a meeting to discuss the issues facing Galway at the moment and current concerns with the Ceannt Station etc. Is there anyone out there that might be interested or could put me in touch with a group who are active in this area?

Hi,

My girlfriend is an architect, currently working with the Arts Alliance to propose alternatives to the pathetic Ceannt Station proposals from the City Council. Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch, she'd like to hear from you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Another point would be why is it in every other country road works on main roads are done at night to prevent traffic chaos...In Galway it's done at peak hours to cause Chaos ...

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Another point would be why is it in every other country road works on main roads are done at night to prevent traffic chaos...In Galway it's done at peak hours to cause Chaos ...

In fairness, some roadworks have to be done during daylight hours, simply not possible or safe to do during darkness and construction noise in residential areas have to be taken into consideration. However, that said, there are works such as services for water, etc in city centre spots that could and should be done at night. The council simply don't want to shell out overtime to workers who usually stop every 30 mins for a 15 minute 'tay-brake'

Advertisement