Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Harassment/Racism

Options
  • 20-10-2007 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I was recently awoken to the sound of a country accent screaming racist abuse under my bedroom window. i looked out to see out finest community coppers. so i grabbed me phone and started filming.
    they had stopped and were searching a black guy on the street an da dirty scumbags made him take his jeans off on da street, to me this is totaly outa line, the footage is not great but you can clearly see them put his jeans on the ground, all the while screaming racial abuse in his face then they wonder why he resists arrest...
    I shouted down to them it was out of line and was asked "what you going to do call the guards?" unbelievable especially considering it happened a stones throw from the ombudsmans office on abbey street.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGtz6SumiQ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i cant see or make out any of the allgations made in your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I can barely see and definitly can't hear anything in that video.
    So do you have anymore backup before you badmouth the gardaí?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

I cant see anything either, but it wouldn't surprise me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dayo41

i know its really bad quality (I had just been sleeping so wasnt to quick on the uptake) but you can see the garda put the man's trousers on the ground - myself and my girlfriend had the displeasure of hearing them repeatedly scream at him whats the capital of congo.
    upon the mans answer the garda insisted he was wrong and after a few more obcenities from the gard out came the handcuffs to which the man refused and was promptly pounced upon by the two gards who had no hesitation in whipping out thier new fandaggeld telescopic beat the ****e outa ya pole.
    not bad mouthing just stating actual events. unfortunately my phone memory was full. you may think im full of ****e but i know what i witnessed.

who they?
    was thinking the ombudsmen but after the garda said what you gonna do call the gards i then thought is there any point??
    and having grown up in this city i know the way the system works...:mad: nothing would ever come of it.

• Advertisement

just twigged your link
    cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ring your local station, ask for the person in charge and say you have it all videoed.
    At no stage tell them the video quality is crap.
    See what the reaction is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I cant see anything either, but it wouldn't surprise me....

Why would it not surprise you?.

Btw, did you get a taxi ok tonight or wanna play the race card in this thread too?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

The thread starter is off his rocker. Where is all this 'abuse'?

And as for Curiousxx1... You don't like our gardai or taxis?

sunny if you bothered to read what i wrote then you know that i said that the footage wasn't the best and in regards to the abuse i'm only trying to tell people what happened at the time, but you can see the copper put the mans jeans on the ground to me i think is a breach of human rights, would you let a gard or anyone for that matter to take your jeans off in public? i think not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

dayo41 wrote: »
    sunny if you bothered to read what i wrote then you know that i said that the footage wasn't the best and in regards to the abuse i'm only trying to tell people what happened at the time, !

I guess reading this thread one problem is the seemingly partial and slanted way you put it, almost as if you have a bias against the gardaí and are delighted to report an incident which you claim shows them in a bad light. This coupled with your reluctance to actually do something about it, and why you chose to stop the video so early and not show the abuse you claim they indulged in, makes it a little hard to believe you were an unbiased observer.

Additionally, we have no idea what events led up to this scene. It would seem unlikely that the gardaí just picked this guy out at random to indulge in some sort of fetish for making people take off their trousers in public. Or is that what you believe was the most likely explanation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I'd well believe this.

Having grown up in the city I know only too well the sort of mentality thesepeople have coming to Dublin.

Completely abusive and I only hope you have longer footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Public searches are not a breach of human rights. Fair enough to strip naked for a search - yes that should be done in a station.

But don't know whats going on there, Gardai frequently have to shout at people, you can see the man put something that looks like trousers but could be a jacket or something on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

jawlie wrote: »

Additionally, we have no idea what events led up to this scene. It would seem unlikely that the gardaí just picked this guy out at random to indulge in some sort of fetish for making people take off their trousers in public. Or is that what you believe was the most likely explanation?
    Do you work for them or something? I don't know anywhere in Ireland where it is acceptable either morally or legally to have someone take their trousers off on the street.

yes maybe your right, but regartless what da guy done i still dont think its right to take anyones clothes off in public they should have simply brought the man to the station to carry out there search

Jay D wrote: »
    I'd well believe this.

Having grown up in the city I know only too well the sort of mentality thesepeople have coming to Dublin.

Completely abusive and I only hope you have longer footage.

thanks jay glade someone knows what da cops are capable of, unfortunately i dont have anymore footage my stupit ass phone ran out of memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Jay D wrote: »
    Do you work for them or something? I don't know anywhere in Ireland where it is acceptable either morally or legally to have someone take their trousers off on the street.

lol - yes, as soon as I pressed the button, I knew someone was going to do the old you-must-work-for-the-gardaí routine. Even if I did, (which I don't), maybe you could address the substance rather than attack me personally?

How do you know they were his trousers? How do you know the gardaí made him take them off? How do you know they were not a spare pair he was carrying and had just stolen? How do you know they were trousers at all? How do you know what happened that led up to these events? Would you rather there were no gardaí on the streets? Would you rather what happend which led up to these events want unchecked by gardai and law and order on the streets was left to all of us to fend for ourselves without the help of the gardaí?

WHy can't you construct some sort of argument rather than just tell someone else their argument is suspect becasue you imagine , wrongly, that they work for the gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If this guy was a random white Dublin native, would you have an issue?

I'm glad the fuzz are out there in the early morning following up & questioning the bad guys (or potential bad guys).

Ok, so you don't have a huge amount on camera, but maybe some examples of what was said.

Asking him what the capital of Congo/Zaire is, doesn't equate to racial abuse.

zabbo wrote: »

I'm glad the fuzz are out there in the early morning following up & questioning the bad guys (or potential bad guys).

Ok, so you don't have a huge amount on camera, but maybe some examples of what was said.

racial or not to hear the cop scream into his face "your a ****ing lair" seemed petty abusive to me

and in regards to whether it was an irish boy or not dosen't matter they took his pants off in da street, maybe if it was an irish guy you would be able to see his white irish legs better in da footage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Dayo if what you're saying is true then please do properly report it to the garda ombudsman. It doesn't matter that your footage isn't the best.

Anyways, since when did it become necessary to have a full video of an event before anyone will believe that it actually happened... :rolleyes:

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Dayo if what you're saying is true then please do properly report it to the garda ombudsman. It doesn't matter that your footage isn't the best.

Anyways, since when did it become necessary to have a full video of an event before anyone will believe that it actually happened... :rolleyes:

thanks mate, i will be reporting it. was just looking for feedback from the general irish public. to my amazement it seems that i am being called a liar by some folk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

racial or not to hear the cop scream into his face "your a ****ing lair" seemed petty abusive to me

So calling someone a liar is racist now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Quoting me 3 times, and I still haven't seen a cohesive argument of what you're trying to put forward to the 'general public'.

Perhaps it would be better served to report the incident instead of ranting here / uploading blurry videos to youtube.

I'm not exactly calling you a liar, but you're hardly covering youself in glory with the sequence of muddled posts which don't seem to have any clear direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

Mairt wrote: »
    Why would it not surprise you?.

Btw, did you get a taxi ok tonight or wanna play the race card in this thread too?.

A bit touché are we?
    Right... No race card, but i have witnessed a Garda official actually harassing someone (Kerry lad) black or white it wouldn't surprise me...

And as for getting a cab last night, I took the night link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

... but you can see the copper put the mans jeans on the ground to me i think is a breach of human rights, would you let a gard or anyone for that matter to take your jeans off in public? i think not!

Oh please, a breach of human rights :rolleyes:
    This is Dublin, not Darfur.

For all you know this guy could have a knife in his pocket.
    People complain about a lack of garda presence on the streets and then complain if they stop and search someone.
    Call me naive but I trust the gardaí to do their job and if some scumbag gets humiliated or a few digs, then fair play to the gardaí.

And if they go too far, they there are procedures to deal with this.

"your a ****ing lair"
    And how is that racist?

Now bring on the PC brigade to tear my post to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It looks like the garda is searching for something in the trousers. I would say if he felt there was a dangerous item in there, it would be more advisable to ask the suspect to remove his trousers rather than search him and run the risk of injuring oneself. Anyway, the embarassment might teach him to cop on. Im sure he came to the attention of the gardai for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Im sure he came to the attention of the gardai for some reason.

That's a very dangerous attitude to have, if you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

spurious wrote: »
    That's a very dangerous attitude to have, if you think about it.

Well i would find it unusual for a garda to be talking to a member of public in the dead of night for no reason. That is the attitude i would have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well i would find it unusual for a garda to be talking to a member of public in the dead of night for no reason. That is the attitude i would have

It happens.

A person could done nothing wrong what so ever and there could be a heap of reasons why they have been stopped which have nothing to do with improper conduct on thier behalf.

Garda should be active in the community and it is wrong to assume a person talking with garda has done something wrong, esp as it means people won't engage with the garda for fear of people thinking that.

Advertisement