Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Harassment/Racism

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its amazing really,the cops stop a black p[erson and its considered racist by somebody who had no clue what was going on.Did it not occur to the OP that the bloke might have commited an offence perhaps?With the amount of braindead PC cretins going around the place the cops would have to think very carefully before they decided to randomly racially abuse somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A
    And as for getting a cab last night, I took the night link!

Ah cool, glad you took my advice from the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Jay D wrote: »
    I'd well believe this.

Having grown up in the city I know only too well the sort of mentality thesepeople have coming to Dublin.

Completely abusive and I only hope you have longer footage.

"these people have coming to Dublin" I take it you mean us boggers coming up from the sticks? Nice to see you don't have your own prejudices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Well i would find it unusual for a garda to be talking to a member of public in the dead of night for no reason. That is the attitude i would have

I have been stopped and searched illegally, been handcuffed while thrown to the ground and have had beatings from Garda in Dublin in my youth... I'm 41 years of age now... because I gave an address which the Garda decided was a "dodgy" area... so you will know why I believe the original poster on this one. Leopards don't change their spots, so I can believe there are bad eggs still in the uniform of the guardians of peace in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

boneless wrote: »
    I have been stopped and searched illegally

define searched illegaly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

I'm with jawlie and delta_bravo on this -

There are so many worse things to wake you from your sleep than the cops doing their job.

I think you're doing yourself and the cops a disservice by linking the youtube clip to your commentary, as it doesn't substantiate any mis-conduct.

[ps - neither I, nor anyone I personally know, work for the Gardai]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

howaya wrote: »
    I'm with jawlie and delta_bravo on this -

There are so many worse things to wake you from your sleep than the cops doing their job.

I think you're doing yourself and the cops a disservice by linking the youtube clip to your commentary, as it doesn't substantiate any mis-conduct.

[ps - neither I, nor anyone I personally know, work for the Gardai]

The youtube thing is complete rubbish,it doesnt show ANYTHING,much less harrasment,if anything the title could be libelous.Get a grip on yourself OP and mind your own business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 dayo41

Degsy wrote: »
    The youtube thing is complete rubbish,it doesnt show ANYTHING,much less harrasment,if anything the title could be libelous.Get a grip on yourself OP and mind your own business.

cop on you muppet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

"these people have coming to Dublin" I take it you mean us boggers coming up from the sticks? Nice to see you don't have your own prejudices

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dayo41 wrote: »
    cop on you muppet!

Now now, there's no need to go calling people names, it doesn't help your case at all.

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    define searched illegaly

Carried out in malice and with violence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

sure why would they be violent towards someone they were trying to search unless you were resisting which wouldn't really be their fault.

as for malice :rolleyes:

Admittedly the "footage" posted by the OP on youtube is not proof or evidence of anything (apart form suggesting that if the OP wants a career in film he should remain in front of the camera:D)

However, why is it so hard for people to believe that there are a significant minority of gardai who abuse their powers, treat the public with contempt and show utter disregard for their uniform?

Is Ireland somehow unique in that every member of our police service carries out their duties in a legal and ethical manner and that corruption, intimidation of the public and incompetence within the force are unheard of?

Have ye forgotten:

Frank Shortt (Donegal publican)

Nicky Kelly and the Sallins Train Robbery

The Dean Lyons case

The Kerry Babies case

and most recently, and still ongoing, The Morris Tribunal?

in addition to numerous instances of compensation being awarded to members of the public for abuse of power by individual gardai.

There are major problems in a number of professions and state bodies in Ireland. Unless we are willing to admit to such problems we have no hope of routing out the "bad apples", reforming the organisations concerned and ensuring that no individual can get away with abusing the powers conferred on him/her by the state. Corruption, abuse and incompetence within any organisation benefits no-one except for those perpetrating it. Good, professional, committed gardai have nothing to fear from oversight of their day to day professional activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Rebeller wrote: »
    Admittedly the "footage" posted by the OP on youtube is not proof or evidence of anything (apart form suggesting that if the OP wants a career in film he should remain in front of the camera:D)

However, why is it so hard for people to believe that there are a significant minority of gardai who abuse their powers, treat the public with contempt and show utter disregard for their uniform?

Is it not possible to believe that there are a number of gardaí who abuse their powers, treat the public with contempt etc, and still think the OP here seems to be jumping the gun as he has no idea what happened beforehand?

Is your argument that, because there are some corrupt gardaí and because some gardaí have been proved to be corrupt, that we should not examine every case in its merits and on the evidence before us?

The evidence supplied by what the OP has written here seems to indicate that he has a personal bias against the gardaí. He seems to object to conjecture to any possibility that the gardaí that he saw were doing anything other than abusing another man’s rights. He may be right, he may not. The fact that he has rushed to assume the gardaí are in the wrong here merely confirms his own prejudices and weakens the point he is trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

Is the OP for real? that utube is a joke! The gardai are just doing their job let them get on with it, fair play to them, dublin city centre needs some law & order its gone beyond a joke now, every tourist is amazed by the amount of scumbags & junkies hanging about the city centre causing trouble, annoying people :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Nothing to see hear

sure why would they be violent towards someone they were trying to search unless you were resisting which wouldn't really be their fault.

as for malice :rolleyes:

You would have to experience it I think. :rolleyes: You don't have to resist to be battered... certain Garda in the A District were well known for being brutish towards people because of where these people lived. I think that constitutes malice.

Why do many here find it hard to believe that Garda abuse the power they have invested in them? Having said that, I have encountered many decent Garda but the rotten ones tend to bias you. Yes, I admit to a certain bias!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

i find it incredibly annoying when people go 'ohhh donegal'.that was years ago.the Gardai have,currently are and will continue to change.the old methods of 'a few slaps' are on the way out!

OP actually tell us what they said.they could've been asking him for the capital because he could've been lying.remember there are illegal immigrants who will pretend they are from a country where Ireland has/is accepting asylum seekers.
    just give us the details of exactly what they said please,otherwise take the vid of youtube as its only libelling them if not..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

"Have ye forgotten: ..."

Not at all. Nobody is denying that the Gardai have been guilty of harassment and mis-treatment of people in the past.

- Just not in this case, IMO, based on the OP's clip and description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

eroo wrote:
    i find it incredibly annoying when people go 'ohhh donegal'.that was years ago.

yes, the good old days..
    when we had a corrupt force, they were able to maintain most law/order to a better degree than today.

anybody being anti-social, got a good beatin at the barracks, and the victim behaved themselves in future.
    now, the place is just let run wild and nobody cares about the gardai.

my friend was stabbed one night, and gardai were a few hundred feet away, never did anything.
    people gettin attacked on the street while gardai just stood and watched.
    there was a couple of lads took a bad beating on the street one night, gardai just walked on.

they're pretty useless, tbh, and if i had a problem, they'd probably be the last people i call.

good for you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

my friend was stabbed one night, and gardai were a few hundred feet away, never did anything.
    there was a couple of lads took a bad beating on the street one night, gardai just walked on.

I find it hard to believe that the gardaí “did nothing” while your friend was stabbed, if they had witnessed it. The way you report that makes it sound as if the gardaí witnessed your friend getting stabbed, and just stood by as onlookers, which I find hard to believe. It is possible they “did nothing” as they had not seen it, which sounds plausible if the were a “few hundred” feet away, or it was not brought to their attention.

they're pretty useless, tbh, and if i had a problem, they'd probably be the last people i call.

If you had a problem, say your car was stolen or your house burgled and valuables taken, who would be the first or second people you would call if the gardaí would be your last?

Yes,and what if some lunatic tried kicking your door in late at night,who would you call?

not the ****in Ghostbusters thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

did someone tell the guards ur friend was being stabbed? or did they see it happening?

and with ur friends being beaten,u didn't say how many guards were there or how many people were fighting. If u were a guard and u saw 4 people fighting would you intervene? Not likely cos they could turn on you.

its all about health and safety. the guards are not there to put their lives in great jeopardy for anyone. they will of course go in when they have sufficient back-up.

Advertisement